How Do You Calculate the Tension in Cables Supporting a Suspended Loudspeaker?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Allura
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cables Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Allura
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 26.0 kg loudspeaker is suspended 1.9 m below the ceiling by two 3.0-m long cables that angle outward at equal angles. What is the tension (in N) in the cables? Assume that the local acceleration due to gravity is 9.80 m/s2.

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I was thinking I would find the angle using cos -1 (1.9/3) and then using the angle to find T1?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mg/2 sin theta = T
What 1 angle = the other =.

Try that
 
Ok so I got 9.8x26kg/2 = 127.4 and do you mean sin-1(127.4)?
 
You need to find the angle of between the rope and the top of the building or w/e it's suspended on.