How Do You Calculate the Tension in a Rope Holding a Chandelier?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ttpp1124
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
ttpp1124
Messages
110
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
How to find the tension?
Relevant Equations
N/A
A 45 kg chandelier is suspended by two chains of lengths 5 m and 8 m attached to two points in the ceiling 11 m apart. Find the tension in the 5 m rope.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To get help you have to make an effort to answer the question and show what it is.
 
Well, see, I'm not so sure how to start. I'm assuming I'd multiply mass with gravity...? I don't know how to incorporate the lengths.
 
ttpp1124 said:
Well, see, I'm not so sure how to start. I'm assuming I'd multiply mass with gravity...? I don't know how to incorporate the lengths.
Draw a free body diagram and show what it is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
How is it that you have a homework problem that you don't even know how to start? Did you miss a class? If so, I suggest that you get the notes and learn the material.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
phinds said:
How is it that you have a homework problem that you don't even know how to start? Did you miss a class? If so, I suggest that you get the notes and learn the material.
listen buddy you either help me get started or leave
 
IMG_3368.jpg
 
ttpp1124 said:
listen buddy you either help me get started or leave
Thread locked for Moderation...
 
ttpp1124 said:
listen buddy you either help me get started or leave
Thread will remain closed. OP has been reminded to show their best efforts to work the problem in their first post, so we can provide quality tutorial help.