How Do You Calculate the Total Distance Traveled by a Car with Changing Speeds?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gewitter_05
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Distance traveled
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Gewitter_05
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car accelerates from rest at 1.2 m/s^2 for a distance of 30 meters, after that it remains constant speed for 5 seconds, then it decelerates to a full stop in 4 seconds.


Homework Equations


d=1/2at^2
v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0)
(x-x0)=volt+1/2at^2


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried using the above equation to figure out the total distance traveled since I am given acceleration, but I am not sure which time to use if not both and if the 30 meters and constant speed also has to be factored in. I tried using other kinematic equations with the the 30 meters and I read constant speed means velocity isn't changing so it's 0. Although I am still not getting the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing the question in three parts.

First, calculate the velocity of the car when it has finished accelerating.

Second, calculate the distance it travels while it's speed remains constant.

Third, calculate the distance it travels while decelerating.
 
Last edited: