How Do You Calculate the Wavelength of Particle Motion in Parametric Equations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Logarythmic
Messages
277
Reaction score
0
I have two parametric equations for the speed of a particle in a plane:

[tex]\dot{x}(t) = A \left( 1 - cos{\Omega t} \right)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}(t) = A sin{\Omega t}[/tex]

The period is equal to [itex]\Omega[/itex]. How do I find the wavelength of the motion?


The wavelength is just [itex]\lambda = \Omega v[/itex], where [itex]v = \sqrt{\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2}[/itex] is the speed, right? But then the wavelength is not time invariant. Could my answer

[tex]\lambda = \Omega A \left( 2 - 2cos{\Omega t} \right)^{1/2}[/tex]

really be correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here omega is not the period, but the angular velocity = 2pi/T where T is the period.
 
I thought about that too, but it's stated in the problem that the motion is periodic with period [itex]\Omega[/itex]. Anyway, my question still remains.
 
Logarythmic said:
I thought about that too, but it's stated in the problem that the motion is periodic with period [itex]\Omega[/itex]. Anyway, my question still remains.
Is this problem in a textbook, or was it given by a professor or teacher?

[itex]\Omega[/itex] as a period would seem to be incorrect since normally the arguments of sine and cosine are dimensionless, which is consistent with rl.bhat's comment.