How Do You Calculate the Y Component of Velocity for an Arrow Shot at an Angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
disque
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An arrow is shot into the air at an angle of 59.4degrees above the horizontal with a speed of 20.9 m/s.

(a) What are the x and y components of the velocity of the arrow 3 s after it leaves the bowstring?


Homework Equations



v(o)sin(theta)t+1/2(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I know the x is just trig and ends up being 10.6 but i don't understand how to find the y component. I thought you just used the above equation and plugged 3 in for t and -9.8 for a since its going down. I did that and I got the wrong answer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Observe that the Vy (with positive up) is continually slowed by gravity.

Vt = Vo - g*t

or

V3 = Vo*sinθ - g*3

As you noted you have the x component already, so ...