1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you change the volume without changing the pressure Charles law

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    Hi,

According to Charles gas law if you keep a certain constant pressure & moles of gas, you can relate the other 2 physical quantities (Volume & Temperature) in a formula: V/T=c

If you increase T, V will increase because the temperature is directly proportional to the volume. The same happens if you decrease T, V will decrease.

Now I cant understand how to start with V instead of T. How do you increase the Volume without changing the pressure ( because it must be constant) so that the temperature increases?

Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: How do you change the volume without changing the pressure Charles

You have to provide some energy to increase the temperature anyway. As both V and T change at the same time, I don't think it is meaningful to separate those processes.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3

Thanks, but the problem is how do we provide that energy? If I increase the Volume of a gas, it automatically decreases pressure(!). I dont want that to happen because the pressure must be the same if we want to explain this second gaslaw.
    I cannot even imagine how it would be possible to increase volume wihout the decrease of pressure so that the temperature increases.

Is that even possible? Or am I making it way too difficult & should I just always start off with increasing temperature which will increase volume and not vice versa (This way pressure doesnt change)?

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

With the usual methods to heat a gas: Put it in a hot environment, expose it to radiation, high-energetic particles, let it do chemical or nuclear reactions or find some other way to add heat.

6. Feb 21, 2013 #5

Ok So 1 more last question to make sure im getting it :p
    We start with raising the temperature which will raise volume. We do not start of increasing volume to increase temperature because that is impossible, right?

7. Feb 21, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

At least not with a regular gas, right.

8. Feb 21, 2013 #7

Thanks for the answers :) It helped me a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook