How Do You Convert Atmospheric Pressure from Atm to PSI at High Altitudes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SanSan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Altitude Psi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SanSan
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I have an altitude to psi problem that I can't quite figure out. I know I have to use conversions, but I'm not sure how to set them up.

At an altitude of 35,000 ft, atmospheric pressure is less than 0.500 atm. Convert this pressure to pounds per square inch (psi).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Atmosphere pressure is approximately 14.7 psi at sea level .

So if you know that atmospheric pressure at a specified altitude is 0.5 sea level value then pressure in psi = 14.7 * 0.5 .

Answer 7.35 psi .

nb: The 14.7 psi pressure at sea level is commonly referred to as ' one atmosphere ' .
So two atmospheres = 29.4 psi . Three atmospheres = 44.1 psi etc .
 
Nidum said:
Atmosphere pressure is approximately 14.7 psi at sea level .

So if you know that atmospheric pressure at a specified altitude is 0.5 sea level value then pressure in psi = 14.7 * 0.5 .

Answer 7.35 psi .
Thank you for your help. I misinterpreted the question.