How Do You Determine the Basis of Ker(F) in Matrix Mapping Operations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 12K views
simpledude
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let V = M2(R) be the vector space over R of 2×2 real matrices. We consider the mapping
F : V −> V defined for all matrix M belonging to V , by F(M) = AM +MA^T where A^T denotes the transpose matrix of the matrix A given below

A =

1 2
−1 0

Question is: Determine a basis of Ker(F)

The Attempt at a Solution


So I showed that F is a linear operator, and preserves scalar addition and multiplication.
However I am lost as to how I can solve the equation:
AM +MA^T = 0

Any help appreciated, thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AM + MA^T = 0, so AM = -MA^T. You know what A is and M is a 2x2 matrix, so pick some entres a, b, c, d for M and solve for them.
 
What is zero in [itex]M_2(\mathbb{R})[/itex]? Just apply the definition of kernel using [itex]M = \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> m_{11} & m_{12}\\m_{21} & m_{22}\\\end{array} \right)[/itex] and you will find the basis.
 
Last edited:
I get dimension of Ker = 4,

What I did is write out the matrix and multiply it out (since we know A and M I took
as a,b,c,d). After multiplying and adding, I get a system of 4 equations, (a,b,c)
and solve them via Gauss to find how many are independent.

Is this ok?
 
simpledude said:

Homework Statement


Let V = M2(R) be the vector space over R of 2×2 real matrices. We consider the mapping
F : V −> V defined for all matrix M belonging to V , by F(M) = AM +MA^T where A^T denotes the transpose matrix of the matrix A given below

A =

1 2
−1 0

Question is: Determine a basis of Ker(F)

The Attempt at a Solution


So I showed that F is a linear operator, and preserves scalar addition and multiplication.
However I am lost as to how I can solve the equation:
AM +MA^T = 0

Any help appreciated, thanks :)
You solve the matrix equation by doing the work to write it out as separate equations for the components.
Let
[tex]M= \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)[/tex]
Then
[tex]F(M)= AM+ MA^T= \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2 \\ -1 & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & -1 \\ 2 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\begin{array}{cc}a+2c & b+2d \\ -a & -b+d\end{array}\right)+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a+ 2b & -a \\ c+2d & -c\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\begin{array}{cc}2a+2b+2c & -a+b+2d \\ -a+ c+ 2d & -b- c+ d\end{array}\right)[/tex]
For M be "in the kernel", that must be the 0 vector. Solve 2a+ 2b+ 2c= 0, -a+ b+ 2d= 0, -a+ c+ 2d= 0, and -b- c+ d= 0. If those equations are all independent, of course, the only solution will be a= b= c= d= 0, the 0 matrix. If not, then the kernel may have dimension 1, 2, 3, or 4. (Well, it's pretty obvious the dimension is not 4.)
 
Yes did exactly that, by the way last equation should be -b-c

So after this I solve the matrix of coefficients to see how many independent columns
I have:

2 2 2 0
-1 1 0 2
-1 0 1 2
0 -1 -1 0

and simplified matrix is:

1 1 1 0
0 1 2 2
0 0 1 2
0 0 0 4
I get 4 independent columns once I solve via Gauss. So Ker F = {0}.. so is this
dim 0?
 
Last edited: