How Do You Determine the Distance a Proton Must Be from a Current-Carrying Wire?

  • Thread starter Thread starter feelau
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ampere's law Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
feelau
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


So a long straight wire lies on a horizontal table and carries a current of 1.2x10^-6A. In a vacuum, a proton moves parallel to the wire(opposite the current) with a constant speed of 2.3x10^4 m/s at a distance d above the wire. Determine the value of d. You may ignore the magnetic field due to the Earth.

Homework Equations


ampere's law
F(magnetic field)=q(vxB)
Biot savart law?

The Attempt at a Solution


So what I did is have the magnetic field formula for a wire, I then substitute this into the magnetic force equation. But now I don't really know where to go from there. Please help. Thanks very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Since the proton moves with constant velocity, what must the net force be on it?
 
well net force should be zero but then would it mean F(magnetic)= mg or I am not sure what it would be equal to?
 
feelau said:
well net force should be zero but then would it mean F(magnetic)= mg
You got it.