How Do You Determine the nth Term of a Taylor Polynomial for ln(1-x)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smk037
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polynomial Taylor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
smk037
Messages
67
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Write down the Taylor Polynomial of degree n of the function f(x) at x=0

Homework Equations



f(x) = ln(1-x)


The Attempt at a Solution



f(x) = ln(1-x)

f'(x) = (-1)((1-x)^(-1))

f``(x) = (-1)((1-x)^(-2))

f```(x) = (-2)((1-x)^(-3))

f````(x) = (-6)((1-x)^(-4))

f`````(x) = (-24)((1-x)^(-5))

Pn(x) = -1x - ((x^2)/(2!)) - ((2(x^3))/(3!)) - ((6(x^4))/(4!)) - ((24(x^5))/(5!))

now, I rechecked all my derivatives, but I still can't find a pattern to make an nth term with.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1, 2, 6, 24 etc is 1!, 2!, 3!, 4! etc. So you have (n-1)!/n!. What's that?
 
I think I got it

I got the numbers in the factorials to cancel out, and came up with

(-(x^n))/(n)
 
Another way to do it:
You know that

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

So by integration you get that

[tex]ln(1-x)=-\int{\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}x^n dx}[/tex]