How do you determine the volume of gas in a container?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
Newbie12
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have a container filled with argon and I need to find the volume and amount of gas in the container.

I don't know the mass or volume, but the measured pressure was 16.45psi, and the temperature was 298.59K.

Homework Equations



PV=nRT

P = pressure
V = Volume
n = amount of gas
R = Gas constant (8.3145 J/mol K)
T = temperature

P=ρRT/M

ρ=gas density (Argon: 1.784 g/L @ STP)
M=molar mass (Argon: 39.948 g/mol)

The Attempt at a Solution



I can figure out the density but not the volume or amount.

Does anyone have any thoughts for how to solve with equations or with an experiment?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you only know the pressure and temperature, you can't figure out the total mass or volume. The gas could be a cubic centimeter or a cubic light year and have the same pressure and temperature.
 
Newbie12 said:

Homework Statement



I have a container filled with argon and I need to find the volume and amount of gas in the container.

I don't know the mass or volume, but the measured pressure was 16.45psi, and the temperature was 298.59K.

Homework Equations



PV=nRT

P = pressure
V = Volume
n = amount of gas
R = Gas constant (8.3145 J/mol K)
T = temperature

P=ρRT/M

ρ=gas density (Argon: 1.784 g/L @ STP)
M=molar mass (Argon: 39.948 g/mol)

The Attempt at a Solution



I can figure out the density but not the volume or amount.

Does anyone have any thoughts for how to solve with equations or with an experiment?

Can't you find the volume of the container - either by dimensions (if it's a simple geometric shape), or filling it with a liquid then measuring the volume decanted?

The gas will fill its container, so its volume will equal that of the container.

After that, you should be able to calculate the no. of moles (amount) using the ideal gas law you quoted.

BTW, how did you figure out the density of the gas in the container? Because the gas is not at STP.