Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you differentiate Kirchoffs law?

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    How do you differentiate kirchoffs law which seems to be I = (R+L(di/dt))/V(t)

I need it to be a differential equation so then I can use eulers method.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? That ]b]is[/b] a differential equation- it involves di/dt. You shouldn't really need to user Euler's or any numerical method: di/dt= (IV(t)- R)/L which can be integrated. I am assuming i and I are different. If you meant i= (R+ L(di/dt))/V(t) then that can be written as L(di/dt)- V(t)dt+ R= 0. For that, with general functions as coefficients, yes, a numerical method is needed. Is there a reason why you specifically wrote V(t), as a function of t, but not L and R?

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    This is the question I have been asked in full: A resistor R = 15 ohms an inductor of L=2 henries and a battery of E volts are connected in series with a switch S. At time t=0 the switch is closed and the current I=0. Use Euler Method (Excel or hand but show all work on assignment) to find I at time t =.4 if E=10 and h=.1.

I believe the equation of the circuit to be Vt=IR + L(di/dt).This has then got to be converted into a differential equation so that I can then proceed to use eulers method. Yes i and I are different in the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook