Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you do it! all this adultness is poo-poo

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    remember being a kid and having no responsibilities?

I joke with my parents that I'm going through my quarter-life crisis, but I really am! :yuck:

On one hand I feel like I wasted a large portion of my life and that I haven't accomplished anything important, which I know is ridiculous considering I'm 20... but I can't help feeling that way.

Another thing is that I've been working overtime now in order to save money for when I start university (which I finally decided to do— I've decided to change to Literature/creative writing. It's not a huge change from film to writing; I mean, I've always been heavy into writing; so that's not really a big deal)...

Problem is that when I get home, I'm so tired from work that I don't get anything done. I barely feel like reading; I've started reading a book almost a week ago and I'm not even half way through (usually I read at least a novel a week)... I haven't studied any physics or biology in like two weeks... I've written nothing since I started working overtime (well, I've done some rather extensive revisions to older pieces, but that's more like cheating myself into feeling like I'm doing something productive)... worst of all: I don't even have the energy for PF :eek:— certainly there is something wrong with this picture :tongue:

Anyway, that's my rant that I needed to get out.

Have any of you gone (or are going through) anything similar?

And those of you already past this stage and already full on into adulthood (brrr *shivers* :biggrin:) — How do you find the time and energy to do the things you enjoy? ... I mean, I'm kind of backwards here because for most of you the science would make up the professional aspect of your life, while the art would make up the recreational aspect of your life. ... but as I'm sure there are many of you who take that recreational aspect (be it painting, or playing music, or writing) as more than just a hobby, and consider it a very important part of who you are, I feel the same way about science and learning.

Or is having 0 time and energy to do the things you love just part of growing up? ... because that sounds lame.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'm trying to avoid adulthood for as long as possible - may be putting off indefinitely. :biggrin:

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    :grumpy: Don't say that to a 13-year-old. You have no idea what I'm going through right now.

EDIT: HORRAY!! 100 posts!

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you're certainly not alone. I haven't adjusted well at all, and I'm sure there are many others.

6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    why, what are you going through?

I wasn't the happiest at 13... I was on kind of a low, but at least I didn't feel like I do now; I had a full life ahead of me. which, I know, I still do! I'm not saying I'm being very rational here expecting to have accomplished something important at 20, but I can't help feeling that way.

sorry, did I scare you? haha

congratulations :biggrin:

7. Nov 19, 2007 #6
    admit it, you grew the beard just so they'd finally stop asking you for ID every time you try to buy alcohol :biggrin:.

8. Nov 19, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That depends. Some people choose to live that way while chasing the diamond carrot, and others seek balance. But, if you ever want to make something of yourself, it will require some dedication and a willingness to sacrifice at times.

On the other hand, if you want to be a student, you will likely have to avoid the overtime work. There is a limit to what a person can manage.

When I was a student and working, it was common for me to go on 0-3 hours of sleep at night. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY!!!

9. Nov 19, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Many years ago, my wife and I decided to spend our lives on each other. We both came from large families and neither of us was happy with the result. We have no children, but we have each other and we have nieces and nephews that will pitch in BIG TIME.

10. Nov 19, 2007 #9
    Being six years ahead at my age is tough. I guess I am just a unique situation. AKA bad example.

11. Nov 19, 2007 #10
    I enjoy being an adult. What fun was there being a kid anyways? Id rather be talking to women at a bar, or doing whatever I feel like doing, than trading comic books or playing video games. The best thing about kids are that they cant fight back. :devil: ....uh I cant stand those little rats. I went out to a resturant with two of my friends the other night and every family had their kids at the place. They were runing around constantly. I wanted to trip them.

12. Nov 19, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I had a job at a bike shop when I was 14. It help me earn a little money and discounts on bike parts.

My folks both worked with overlapping schedules, so I'd get home from school just about the time my mom left for an evening job as a nurse, but my dad didn't get home until around 5:30-6:00 pm, so I was responsible for my sister and youngest brother. I did some cooking, and had plenty of yard work and household chores to do - in addition to homework.

At 16 I got a job at a gardening center, which I kept for about a year, and then at 17 worked for a year at a grocery store. Both jobs on weekends and evenings while I was in high school. Basically my folks told me that if I wanted to go to college, I had to work - so I did. I had two brothers and a sister, so I had to help out since I was the oldest.

13. Nov 19, 2007 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know what you mean, but I feel school conflicts with what I want to do!

I want to learn Algebra and read the details of every proof and solve most or all the questions. I do have an Algebra class with a Graduate text which is awesome. But my prof. thinks it's a waste of time to go through all the details, like I am, because they will go through it in Graduate school. WHY NOT JUST DO IT NOW?!

Then, I want to read my Topology, but no, all my classes occupy too much of my time. Or read Psychology!? Something I didn't do in awhile.

For the reasons above, I'm think of doing graduate school part-time or not at all because of this. I'm always going in directions I don't want to go with the material! I talked to my prof. about this problem. He does want me to go to Graduate school and wants me to go to a good school. He understands my problem. He think I'll do better if I was just to go out study about like I want. It's really hard to explain.

It's annoying as hell though.

Mark Twain warned me though. Don't let schooling get in the way of your education.

14. Nov 19, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I have to agree with Cyrus (:surprised). Being an adult is way more fun than being a kid. Maybe it has to do with how strict one's parents are when growing up, but I had an awful lot of rules as a kid that I had to follow.

As an adult, I can do things I was never allowed to do as a kid, like have chocolate cake for breakfast, stay up all night, bring home that adorable kitten without asking anybody, stay out all night, go out on dates without a father giving the guy the third degree first, stay out all night on that date :wink:, drive myself wherever I want to go and do whatever I want to do. :biggrin:

15. Nov 19, 2007 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's freedom with responsibility!

Kids have no responsiblity with no freedom and adults have both!

16. Nov 19, 2007 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think anybody is disagreeing with the privileges of adulthood, but rather the annoying responsibility that one inevitably accrues.

17. Nov 19, 2007 #16
    Life sucked for me until I turned 18, now I am 20 and all is well. School does conflict with lots of the things I like to do but that's life, it can't all be perfect. Besides I love what I study so that helps, and it's not like I will be in school forever. I think having a few extra responsiblities is worth it.....I definitely wouldn't want to go back to my childhood years.

18. Nov 19, 2007 #17
    Doesn't feel worth it right now!.... /sleep

19. Nov 19, 2007 #18
    Yea, I dunno... I definitely wouldn't want to go back to my childhood either. ... my years of grades 2-3 and 5-6 (middle school) were pretty great, but the rest, up to about when I was 16, pretty much sucked. Since then it's been alright though.

I never really fit in with any group; even with my friends now I feel kind of like an outside-observer rather than "one of the guys," if that makes any sense... my parents tell me that in kindergarten all the kids used to make fun of me because I used big words and they couldn't understand what I was saying, but they both decided that it was best for me to stay in my respective class, which I'm grateful for... I mean, then I had that phase with drugs in high-school and ended up staying an extra year... I've never been the most mature person emotionally, I guess.

My biggest problem is that persistent feeling that I should've already accomplished something. And that I feel like I'm not doing enough, yet at the same time feel too exhausted to do everything I feel I should be doing.

wow, that is indeed a different case. I definitely couldn't handle all this at 13! ... but I'm not that smart, so I wouldn't have to anyway. ... I think emotional maturity as important as mental. If you feel you can handle it all, then you've matured enough to do it.

20. Nov 20, 2007 #19
    When I was sixteen, I started pretending I was an adult. And I've been pretending ever since. - Mark Twain

I think it was Twain. I haven't been able to find this quote on the web. If you can find it for me, I would appreciate it. My version is a paraphrase, I don't remember the original.

21. Nov 20, 2007 #20
    You have the ability to wield a gun, and I have the ability to use a compound bow. I wish we could make peace.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?