What is the formula for finding midpoints on a graph?

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding midpoints in the context of calculating integrals and approximating areas under a curve. The process involves dividing the area into rectangles, finding the height of each rectangle by plugging in the midpoint into the function representing the curve, and then calculating the total area by multiplying the lengths and heights of the rectangles. This method is commonly used in MRAM calculations and can be applied to any given curve.
afcwestwarrior
i know how to find left end points and right end points, but mid points how do you do that, if you don't know what I'm talking about,
i have to find it for 6 rectangles on a graph, its a problem about integrals, area and distances

Physics news on Phys.org
The midpoint of a line? It's just adding the two endpoints together, and dividing by two

It sounds like you're doing MRAM. When doing MRAM, you set the height of the rectangle to the midpoint of your rectangle widths. To find the actual value of the height of your rectangle, you take that midpoint's distance from the origin in the x direction, and plug that number into the equation for your curve. For example, say you have the function:

y = x + 1 (sorry, I don't know LaTeX)

And you want to approximate the area underneath this curve from 0 to 10, using MRAM with 5 rectangles.

The first step is to divide your area into five rectangles, each of width 2 ( 5 is how far you want to go, divided by the number of rectangles you want to use equals 2). So, at this point, we're trying to find the area of 6 rectangles, all of width 2.

To find the height of the rectangles (your origional question, lol), you simply take the midpoint of each rectangle, and plug it into the function defining your curve (in this case, y = x + 1) Doing this, we come up with:

Rectangle 1:
y = 1 + 1
y = 2

Rectangle 2:
y = 3 + 1
y = 4

Rectangle 3:
y = 5 + 1
y = 6

Rectangle 4:
y = 7 + 1
y = 8

Rectangle 5:
y = 9 + 1
y = 10

So there are your heights of your rectangle. Now, we simply multiply the lengths of the rectangles by their heights, and add the areas all together to get our MRAM using 6 rectangles!

2 * 2 + 2 * 4 + 2 * 6 + 2 * 8 + 2 * 10
Pulling out the twos, we get
2*(2+4+6+8+10)
which equals
2*(30)

And that is how you find the midpoints, and use them to approxiamte an integral for a given curve! I hope that is actually what you're trying to do, and that I did not just waste my time explaining all that :-)

If you have two points on a line (x,y) and (a,b) the midpoint is ((x+a)/2,(y+b)/2)

1. How do you find midpoints on a coordinate plane?

To find the midpoint on a coordinate plane, simply add the x-coordinates of the two points and divide by 2 to find the x-coordinate of the midpoint. Repeat the same process for the y-coordinates to find the y-coordinate of the midpoint.

2. What is the formula for finding the midpoint between two numbers?

The formula for finding the midpoint between two numbers is (a + b)/2, where a and b are the two given numbers. This formula can be used for finding the midpoint on a number line or a coordinate plane.

3. How do you find the midpoint of a line segment?

To find the midpoint of a line segment, you can use the midpoint formula (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2, where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two endpoints of the line segment.

4. Can the midpoint of a line segment be outside of the line segment?

No, the midpoint of a line segment must always lie on the line segment itself. If the midpoint is outside of the line segment, it means that the line segment has been extended beyond its endpoints.

5. How is finding midpoints useful in real life?

Finding midpoints is useful in various fields such as geometry, physics, and statistics. In real life, it can be used to determine the center of a shape or object, calculate the average of a set of data points, and even find the balance point of an object on a seesaw.