How Do You Find the Acceleration of Block A Given These Weights?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Angry Citizen
Messages
607
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The weights of the blocks are W_A = 120 lb and W_B = 20 lb, and the surfaces are smooth. Find the acceleration of block A.

[A picture is shown. Block A is connected via rod to a pulley, and Block B is hanging from the pulley via cord.]

Homework Equations



F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



This is embarrassing. I feel like I'm having a brain fart. I did free body diagrams showing that T-W_B=(M_A)a, and that T=(M_B)a, and substituted them into equations, but the book says it's the wrong answer; I should be getting 4.02 ft/s^2, but I'm getting something different. Any help please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here you go.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 449
I don't know what answer you are getting, but your signage is wrong when looking at
Block B. also make sure your mass unit are in slugs.

Edit: you also used M_B in your second equation when you should have used M_A.
 
Last edited: