1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces; Two blocks connected by a pulley with friction

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A massless rope is attached to Block A, which as mass m_A and rests on a horizontal surface with coefficient of kinetic friction u_k. The rope passes over a frictionless, massless pulley and Block B is attached to the other end. When the blocks are released, Block A moves to the right with an acceleration of magnitude a, Block B moves downward with an acceleration of the same magnitude a. At the location of the experiment, the acceleration of a freely-falling object has magnitude g.

Find the mass of Block B. Your answer should involve no quantities other than m_A, u_k, a, and g.

2. Relevant equations
    F_net = ma
    F_f = u_k * n
    n = mg (on a level surfaces with angle = 180 degrees)

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I drew free body diagrams for both Block A and Block B.

Block A has 4 forces acting on it: force of gravity (which points directly down), normal force (which points opposite of gravity), force of tension (which points directly right) and force of friction (which points directly left).

Block B has 2 forces acting on it: force of gravity (which points directly down) and force of tension (which points directly up).

I then used Newton's second law to make 3 equations (and listed some other relevant things under them)

Block A:
    F_netx = Tension - friction = m_A * a
    friction = uk*n = u_k * m_A*g

Fnety = normal - weight of block A = 0
    normal = m_A*g

Block B:
    F_nety = weight of Block B - tension = m_b * a

I took the first equation and made Tension equal to the weight of Block B. I know this is my first mistake but I don't understand why. Doesn't the tension that Block A experience = the tension that Block B experiences? if that is true, then the mass of Block B would = the tension of Block A.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2
    Look at the equation you wrote for Block B and tell me whether that is consistent with what you said in the last paragraph about the tension in the rope being equal to the weight of block B.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted