Forces; Two blocks connected by a pulley with friction

In summary: The conversation discusses a physics problem involving two blocks connected by a massless rope. The blocks have different masses and are subject to different accelerations. The goal is to find the mass of one of the blocks using only the given variables: m_A, u_k, a, and g. The solution involves creating free body diagrams for each block and using Newton's second law to set up equations. However, there is a mistake in one of the equations where the tension in the rope is incorrectly equated to the weight of Block B. This mistake should be corrected in order to accurately solve for the mass of Block B.
TheClara

Homework Statement

A massless rope is attached to Block A, which as mass m_A and rests on a horizontal surface with coefficient of kinetic friction u_k. The rope passes over a frictionless, massless pulley and Block B is attached to the other end. When the blocks are released, Block A moves to the right with an acceleration of magnitude a, Block B moves downward with an acceleration of the same magnitude a. At the location of the experiment, the acceleration of a freely-falling object has magnitude g.

Find the mass of Block B. Your answer should involve no quantities other than m_A, u_k, a, and g.

Homework Equations

F_net = ma
F_f = u_k * n
n = mg (on a level surfaces with angle = 180 degrees)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew free body diagrams for both Block A and Block B.

Block A has 4 forces acting on it: force of gravity (which points directly down), normal force (which points opposite of gravity), force of tension (which points directly right) and force of friction (which points directly left).

Block B has 2 forces acting on it: force of gravity (which points directly down) and force of tension (which points directly up).

I then used Newton's second law to make 3 equations (and listed some other relevant things under them)

Block A:
F_netx = Tension - friction = m_A * a
friction = uk*n = u_k * m_A*g

Fnety = normal - weight of block A = 0
normal = m_A*g

Block B:
F_nety = weight of Block B - tension = m_b * a

I took the first equation and made Tension equal to the weight of Block B. I know this is my first mistake but I don't understand why. Doesn't the tension that Block A experience = the tension that Block B experiences? if that is true, then the mass of Block B would = the tension of Block A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the equation you wrote for Block B and tell me whether that is consistent with what you said in the last paragraph about the tension in the rope being equal to the weight of block B.

Chet

1. What is a pulley and how does it affect forces?

A pulley is a simple machine that allows for the redirection of forces. In the context of two blocks connected by a pulley with friction, the pulley changes the direction of the tension force acting on the blocks, but it does not change the magnitude of the force. This means that the tension force on both blocks will be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

2. How does friction affect the motion of the blocks?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it affects the motion of the blocks by reducing their speed. In the case of two blocks connected by a pulley with friction, the friction force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the blocks, slowing them down. It also causes the tension force to be slightly less than the weight of the blocks, as some of the weight is being used to overcome friction.

3. What is the relationship between the masses of the blocks and the acceleration of the system?

According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of two blocks connected by a pulley with friction, the net force is the difference between the tension force and the weight of the blocks. Therefore, as the mass of the blocks increases, the net force decreases, resulting in a lower acceleration.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the tension force in the system?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact and it affects the tension force by increasing the amount of friction force between the blocks and the surface they are on. This means that a higher coefficient of friction will result in a larger friction force, which in turn will require a higher tension force to overcome and keep the blocks in motion.

5. Can the blocks ever reach a state of equilibrium?

Yes, the blocks can reach a state of equilibrium when the tension force is equal to the weight of the blocks and the friction force is equal to the tension force. This means that the net force on the blocks is zero and they will remain stationary. However, in order for this to happen, the coefficient of friction must be high enough to counterbalance the weight of the blocks.