1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find this eigenvector?

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    [0 1]
    [-2 -2] This is the 2x2 matrix.

[λ -1]
    [2 λ+2] This is the matrix that equals λI - A.

Here are the eigenvalues I found:
    λ = -1 + i, -1 - i

I am really confused at what to do next to find the eigenvectors. I keep looking online for help but I still can't figure it out...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now put one of your eigenvalues into λI - A and try to find a vector v such that (λI - A)v=0. Then v would be an eigenvector of λ. It's just a set of linear equations to solve with a free parameter.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For ##\lambda## equal an eigenvalue, your two equations are dependent, so you only need to solve one and you have one free variable. The first one is the same as ##\lambda x - y =0## or ##y = \lambda x##. So let ##x = 1## and what do you get for ##y##? Do that for each value of ##\lambda## and you will have two [x,y] eigenvectors.

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    I get what I need to do in theory, I just don't actually know how to do it. How do you find v such that (λI-A)v=0?

6. Oct 18, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just try it! What is the matrix (λI-A) when λ=-1+i? Write that matrix times a vector (x,y), set it equal to zero and try to find a solution for x and y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook