1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you get Newtons Squared?

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    If you multiply a force by a force, do you get a force squared?

What is a square force?

An engineering statics textbook I'm reviewing says N x N = N^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The interpretation of units of measure depends upon the interpretation of the equations or expressions where they occur. Without some context for its use, a unit like newtons^2 doesn't have a particular interpretation. Do you have a particular application where newtons^2 occurs in an equation?

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks pretty obvious to me. A square Newton will accelerate a square kilogram at 1 square meter per hypercubic second.:biggrin:

With no context, it's hard to make a statement on the significance of the units.

One example I'm familiar with: Specific energy (per unit of mass) is measured in m^2/sec^2. The units don't mean a whole lot until you multiply your specific energy by your mass to get your energy in Joules. But, specific energy can still be pretty handy value to compare (or generalize) some things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook