How do you guys write your vectors?

• Thread starter eurekameh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, there are several ways to denote vectors in introductory physics and engineering courses, including using arrowheads on top, underlining, bolding, and left side lines. While most professors tend to use arrowheads, there is no one correct way to denote vectors and students are encouraged to use whichever method they find most convenient. This can include using underbars for arbitrary vectors and unit vectors, or using \LaTeX's bold italic notation for vectors. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to choose the method that works best for them.
eurekameh
In introductory physics and lower-level engineering courses, my professors would write their vectors with arrowheads on top. Now, I'm starting to see them being underlined a lot more. Why is this? Personally, I still like the arrowheads on top convention, but I can start underlining them if it would be beneficial in the long run.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in texts it is usually bold such as "vector R" but I don't think there is a "correct" way. I've seen over line, over arrow, under line, Bold, and left side lines (connected to letter)Most professors use over the top arrow since its easiest to denote (much easier then trying to make a letter bold!) But Richard Feynman is his "Lectures on Physics" explained all the many ways to denote, and ended it with "You can invent your own!" (pg 22 Vol II)

By hand, arbitrary vectors with underbar, unit vectors underbar with hat, e.g.
[tex]
\ddot{\underline r} = \left(\ddot{r} - r\dot{\theta}^2\right) \hat{\underline e}_r + \left(r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta}\right)\hat{\underline e}_\theta
[/tex]

Using [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], bold italic (\usepackage{bm} and \renewcommand{\vec}[1]{\bm{#1}}), e.g.
[tex]
\ddot{\boldsymbol r} = \left(\ddot{r} - r\dot{\theta}^2\right) \hat{\boldsymbol e}_r + \left(r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta}\right)\hat{\boldsymbol e}_\theta
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do you guys determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is determined by its angle with respect to a reference axis. This angle is usually measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

2. What is the process for finding the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the vector's magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. Alternatively, it can also be found using trigonometric functions and the vector's angle.

3. How do you represent a vector visually?

Vectors are often represented graphically using arrows, where the direction is indicated by the arrow's orientation and the magnitude is proportional to the arrow's length. They can also be represented using coordinates or written in component form.

4. Can you explain the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector is a vector that describes the location of a point in space relative to a reference point, while a displacement vector describes the change in position from one point to another. In other words, a displacement vector is a specific type of position vector that represents the distance and direction between two points.

5. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, their components are added or subtracted respectively. This can be done graphically by placing the vectors tip-to-tail, or algebraically by using the component form of the vectors. The resulting vector represents the combined effect of the individual vectors.