How do you handle bad semesters ?

I just got my grades today and they are kinda depressing. I got a 3.60 on the dot which brought down my cumulative down by 0. 04. I am not too happy with the result as I was hoping to take my gpa up to around 3.9.

I guess I deserved this; I didn't go to any classss after the first month.

How do you guys cope with stuff like this ?

The problem is that I am in third year EE so I don't have too many courses left in order to raise my gpa.

I guess I need to start taking my education more seriously. :-(

Answers and Replies

How do you guys cope with stuff like this ?

PT-AL596_Drinks_DV_20090514155626.jpg

:smile:

It hasn't been easy.

PT-AL596_Drinks_DV_20090514155626.jpg

:smile:

It hasn't been easy.

XD I am still underage.

*screams* okay then forget that! >_> geez.

Seriously it has been hard for me. I would elaborate, but I don't want to sound too pathetic. The only thing that has helped me to feel a little better is considering what else I can do to make myself more "marketable." I still have time to improve my GPA but it will never be a 4.0 again unless something good happens with the appeal.

Everyone has different standards and that's great. But a bad semester is one that brought your GPA down 0.04? I say get over it.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Everyone has semesters where they don't meet the goals they set for themselves. First off, make sure you keep it in perspective. It sounds to me like you already know what you need to do. For one, if you're paying all that money for tuition, why not attend the classes?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
What the hell, you stopped going to class after the first month and you still got a 3.6??

Everyone has different standards and that's great. But a bad semester is one that brought your GPA down 0.04? I say get over it.

Yeah, a 3.6 is surely nothing to sneeze at...

I kinda know the feeling, I just had my lowest GPA for a semester this fall (3.56). For me it was partially because I had 2 gen eds that I couldn't have cared less about and got B's in both of them. As far as coping is concerned, what I have done is commited myself to never have it happen again. As long as your bad semesters are limited and not too tragic, all will be fine. Enjoy the break and do better next semester.

I forgot to mention my GPA is out of 4.33 not 4.0.
That changes things. :(

*shrugs* So my belief is that a truly bad semester is one where you're risking losing a scholarship or killing your shot at graduating-if you've not done either of those than you're probably alright. Just be careful that it doesn't become a pattern, 'cause you could end up doing serious damage that way. If you see that you're blowing off your classes next semester, look into counseling or talk to an advisor or just do whatever works for you to keep you on track.

turbo
Gold Member
Go to class. Pay attention to what the instructors emphasize, and learn how to demonstrate that knowledge in tests. You'll ace everything. You're paying for this "education", so put in some effort.