How do you know a function is well defined?

In summary: But a partial derivative means keeping one of the variables constant, so the 'paths' for these are parallel to the axes only.
minor_embedding

Homework Statement

I was given the following function

f(x,y) =
\begin{cases}
\frac{x^2y}{x^4+y^2} & (x,y) \neq 0 \\
0 & (x,y) = 0
\end{cases}

Which of the following are true?
(I) f is not continuous at (0, 0).
(II) f is differentiable everywhere
(III) f as a well defined partial derivatives everywhere (i.e. ## \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}##, ## \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}## are both defined)
(IV) f is continuous at (0, 0) but not differentiable at (0, 0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know 1 is true. Since 1 is true 2 is not true and IV is definitely not true. But the answer states that 3 is also true.

I don't think I understand what it means to be a well defined partial derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure (I) is true?

haruspex said:
Are you sure (I) is true?
Seems like it's true to me (i.e., that f is discontinuous at (0, 0)). Along the path y = x2 ##\lim_{(x, y) \to (0, 0)} f(x, y) \neq f(0, 0)##.

Likes minor_embedding
So 1 is definitely true, but what does it mean to be a well defined partial derivative?

So 1 is definitely true, but what does it mean to be a well defined partial derivative?
The problem statement tells you what this means ... namely that both partials are defined everywhere.

In polar coordinates, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so that
[tex]\frac{x^2y}{x^4+ y^2}= \frac{r^3 cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)}{r^4 sin^4(\theta)+ r^2 cos^2(\theta)}= r\frac{cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)}{r^2 sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]. As (x, y) goes to (0, 0), along any path, r goes to 0 so that fraction goes to 0. This function is continuous at (0, 0).

HallsofIvy said:
As (x, y) goes to (0, 0), along any path, r goes to 0 so that fraction goes to 0. This function is continuous at (0, 0).

Did you try the path ##\theta(r) = r##? (Also, your denominator mixes up sin and cos for x and y.) Mark44 already showed that this path leads to a non-zero limit in #3.

HallsofIvy said:
In polar coordinates, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so that
[tex]\frac{x^2y}{x^4+ y^2}= \frac{r^3 cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)}{r^4 sin^4(\theta)+ r^2 cos^2(\theta)}= r\frac{cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)}{r^2 sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]. As (x, y) goes to (0, 0), along any path, r goes to 0 so that fraction goes to 0. This function is continuous at (0, 0).

Let [itex]0 < |C| \leq \frac12[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = \frac{1}{2C}(1 + \sqrt{1 - 4C^2}) \neq 0[/itex] so that [itex]C\alpha^2 - \alpha + C = 0[/itex]. Then on the continuous path [itex](x(t),y(t)) = (t, \alpha t^2)[/itex] we have [tex]
C(x^4 + y^2) - x^2 y = (C\alpha^2 - \alpha + C)t^4 = 0
[/tex] so that [tex]
\lim_{t \to 0} f(x(t),y(t)) = C \neq 0
[/tex] and [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous at the origin.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
The problem statement tells you what this means ... namely that both partials are defined everywhere.
I realize that my question probably sounds pretty idiotic with or without the problem statement. But what I'm confused about is if it's not continuous at the origin, then it can't be differentiable at the origin. So then how is it defined everywhere? Does the second part of the piecewise take care of that?

I think the gist of the "well-defined" part of (II) is that you can use easy derivative rules and formulas to find the partials away from the origin, but you need to appeal to the definition of the partial derivative to determine whether ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}## exist at the origin.

minor_embedding said:
I realize that my question probably sounds pretty idiotic with or without the problem statement. But what I'm confused about is if it's not continuous at the origin, then it can't be differentiable at the origin. So then how is it defined everywhere? Does the second part of the piecewise take care of that?
It fails to be continuous because there exist paths to the origin which produce different limits. But a partial derivative means keeping one of the variables constant, so the 'paths' for these are parallel to the axes only. On those paths, the function has a limit of zero at the origin, consistent with the value there.

minor_embedding said:
You seem to be assuming if all the partial derivatives of a function exist at a point, the function is differentiable at that point. This isn't the case.

minor_embedding said:
[W]hat I'm confused about is if it's not continuous at the origin, then it can't be differentiable at the origin. So then how is it defined everywhere? Does the second part of the piecewise take care of that?
The phrasing tells you what you are supposed to be looking for - you are not asked if the function is differentiable everywhere, only if it has "a well defined derivative" everywhere - then the statement tells you what it means by "well defined derivative".

So - if you want to say that it does not have well defined derivatives everywhere, in the sense stated, then you should prove that by showing that one or other partial does not exist somewhere. Have you tried that?

Note: the two statements ("f is differentiable everywhere", and "f'x, f'y exist everywhere") may be equivalent - but since you are unsure you should check it out.

1. What does it mean for a function to be well defined?

A function is considered well defined if it has a unique output for every input, and it does not result in any contradictions or inconsistencies. This means that the definition of the function is clear and unambiguous, and it can be applied to all possible inputs without any issues.

2. Why is it important for a function to be well defined?

A function that is well defined ensures that it will always produce consistent and reliable results. This is important in mathematics and science, as it allows for accurate calculations and predictions. In other fields, such as computer programming, a well-defined function is necessary for the program to run smoothly and avoid errors.

3. How can you determine if a function is well defined?

To determine if a function is well defined, you must check that every input has a unique output and that there are no contradictions or inconsistencies. This can be done by analyzing the function's definition and its domain and range. It may also involve testing the function with different inputs to see if it consistently produces the same output.

4. What are some common mistakes that result in a function not being well defined?

One common mistake is dividing by zero, which can result in an undefined output. Another mistake is using different definitions for the same input, which can lead to contradictory outputs. Additionally, not specifying the domain and range of a function can also cause it to be not well defined.

5. Can a function be well defined in some cases but not in others?

Yes, a function can be well defined for some inputs but not for others. For example, a function may be well defined for all real numbers but not for complex numbers. It is important to specify the domain of a function to ensure it is well defined for all possible inputs.