How do you know if a reaction will take place or not

• Thread starter usermanual
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, whether a reaction will occur or not depends on both thermodynamics and kinetics. For single displacement reactions, you can use the activity series to determine if the reaction will occur. However, for double displacement reactions, you need to consider the pKa values of the species involved. In the example of Na2S + H2O, the reaction will occur because the sulfide ion is too basic to exist in water and will react to form less basic species. The electrochemical series is not applicable in this case.
usermanual
how do you know if a reaction will take place or not
like i know that i have to use the activity series and all but isn't that only when the reaction thing is single displacement where there 1 element in the first thing and then 2 element in the second compound so like this (a+ bc= ac + b) so for example Zn(s) + 2HCl(aq) -> ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g) so this reaction occurs because Zn is more to the left of the activity series compared to H but my question is what if its a double displacement reaction so AB+ CD -> CB + AD
for example i have Na2S + H2O how would i kno if a reaction takes place or not?
or do i always assume that when there are 2 elements in each reactant/ compound, that a reaction will always occur?

srry if this question is kinda confusing
it's just that i don't know the correct chemistry terms to use

and also I am in grade 11 chemistry so please easy with the chem terms

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There are two factors in whether a reaction will occur or not: Thermodynamics and Kinetics.

By thermodynamics I mean whether or not the products of the reaction have lower energy than the reactants. You can calculate that using heats of formation. For redox reactions you can use electrochemical potentials. (since the energy of the reaction is [tex]\Delta G = -nFE[/tex])

By kinetics I mean the reaction rate. If the products have lower energy, it's energetically beneficial to react, but it doesn't say anything about the rate at which that occurs. For instance, graphite has lower energy at room temperature/pressure than diamond does. But you don't see diamonds spontaneously turning into lumps of coal! Because it happens so very very slowly. The kinetics of a reaction you really have to measure experimentally.

Now if you look at Na2S, what can happen when you put it in water?
Well you could have the dissociation Na2S --> 2Na+ + S2-. From experience one can predict this - simply because few sodium salts are insoluble, and indeed, sodium sulfide is water soluble.

But the sulfide ion, S2-, is actually too basic to exist in water. (It has a pKa > 14) So in water, it will react to form a less basic pair of one hydrosulfide ion and one hydroxide ion:
S2- + H2O --> HS- + OH-

So your net reaction is:
Na2S + H2O--> 2Na+ + HS- + OH-

The electrochemical series doesn't come into this, because there's no redox reaction going on, just acid/base reactions.
So in this case, you reason from pKa values. (Or you could also use heats of formation to get the reaction energy. Again, this is equivalent, since pKa values and reaction energies are related)

1. What factors determine if a reaction will take place or not?

There are several factors that can determine if a reaction will take place, including the presence of reactants, the temperature, the concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can affect the rate and direction of a reaction.

2. How do you know if a reaction is spontaneous or not?

A reaction is considered spontaneous if it occurs without any external influence and releases energy. This can be determined by calculating the change in Gibbs free energy (ΔG) using the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS. If ΔG is negative, the reaction is spontaneous.

3. Is it possible to predict the products of a reaction?

In some cases, the products of a reaction can be predicted based on the reactants and their chemical properties. This can be done using knowledge of chemical reactions and balancing equations, as well as understanding the reactivity and stability of different compounds.

4. Can a reaction take place without a change in color or appearance?

Yes, a reaction can take place without a noticeable change in color or appearance. This is often the case in reactions that involve changes in molecular structure or composition rather than physical changes.

5. How do you know if a reaction is complete?

A reaction is considered complete when all of the reactants have been used up and no more products can be formed. This can be determined by monitoring the reaction over time and observing when the reactants are fully consumed or by calculating the theoretical yield of the products.