Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the importance of the solution in an electrochemical cell?

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    I'm wondering about the importance of the electrolytic solution in an electrochemical cell.
    For example, we have Zn/ZnSO4 and Cu/CuSO4.
    According to the electrochemical series, Zn will reduce Cu, and we will have a reaction.
    Zn(s) -> Zn2+(aq), Cu2+(aq) -> Cu(s).
    So there MUST be Cu2+ in the solution. But what about the electrode? If I had an Ag electrode in a copper solution, would the reaction proceed? (I am told it will not... but why?) The same net reaction would take place - Zn reducing Cu in solution, causing Cu to plate onto Ag. The only difference is that the electrode carrying electrons is now Ag.
    Similarly, if I had a Ag/AgNO3 solution and a Cu/Zn(NO3)2 solution, would Cu displace Ag in solution still? I mean, Cu oxidize to Cu2+ and enter solution even if there is Zn(NO3)2?
    Somewhat confused :P
    Help would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Electrode can be inert in this case - besides, once few first copper atoms get reduced, you are back at a square one, copper electrode and copper in the solution.

Yes, Zn2+ would be just a spectator.

2Ag+ + Cu -> 2Ag + Cu2+

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook