1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you know when a major is not right for you?

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    I read elsewhere that if you're studying something like 8 hours per day for college and you're not getting 'A's, then you most likely don't have the natural aptitude for that particular major and will not succeed in that field due to limitations of innate ability. Is there a certain threshold for when you know that you should throw in the towel and change career paths?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2
    I don't think it has to do with innate ability as much as it has to do with studying "Smartly." Changing one's study habits, or seeking additional external help, can do wonders in better comprehending course material.

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think there's a threshold - it's more of a spectrum kind of thing.

If you are really putting in a serious effort, and still not managing the marks that you'd like that can be flag, but not an absolute contraindication. Lots of successful people struggle through school. And your results are dependent on the techniques you use as well as the approaches to teaching that your instructors make, the other things you have going on in your life, and the amount of preparation you've had for the course.

That said, sometimes you can love something, but just not be cut out for it. I don't think I've seen it too often when someone puts in a Herculean effort and then flunks out. More often I see people back off from a challenge, procrastinate and then put in a last ditch effort that doesn't turn out so well.

5. Jun 18, 2014 #4
    Sure. When you become bored with the subject.

6. Jun 18, 2014 #5
    Somehow I know where you read that :P.

The point in that thread is that one answer stated that one should study 8 additional hours AFTER classes, and 14 hours on Saturday. Consider that you need to sleep and eat as well, and probably would like to encounter the opposite sex once in a while (or the same sex, if that is your preference). This makes it impossible to keep up such study habits unless you are taking a very light course load and have extraordinary social skills and time management.

If you have the passion to study something for 8 hours a day (including classes) and don't get tired of it you may be a good fit. If you are not a good fit you will know it because you won't do the studying. It won't be interesting. I haven't met many people who keep at things they hate to do.

Don't worry about your grades so much. I've met very stupid people with straight A's. They learned just enough to get the grade and washed it down with alcohol after the finals. I've met brilliant guys who didn't pay much attention to their grades, but strived extracurricularly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook