How do you know when a major is not right for you?

• Programs
  • Thread starter E7.5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that studying smartly and making changes in one's study habits can help improve understanding of course material. It also points out that grades are not always an accurate reflection of one's ability or potential for success in a certain field. It is mentioned that sometimes, despite having a passion for a subject, one may not be cut out for it. The conversation ends with the suggestion that grades should not be the sole focus and that extracurricular activities can also play a role in one's success.
E7.5
I read elsewhere that if you're studying something like 8 hours per day for college and you're not getting 'A's, then you most likely don't have the natural aptitude for that particular major and will not succeed in that field due to limitations of innate ability. Is there a certain threshold for when you know that you should throw in the towel and change career paths?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it has to do with innate ability as much as it has to do with studying "Smartly." Changing one's study habits, or seeking additional external help, can do wonders in better comprehending course material.

I don't think there's a threshold - it's more of a spectrum kind of thing.

If you are really putting in a serious effort, and still not managing the marks that you'd like that can be flag, but not an absolute contraindication. Lots of successful people struggle through school. And your results are dependent on the techniques you use as well as the approaches to teaching that your instructors make, the other things you have going on in your life, and the amount of preparation you've had for the course.

That said, sometimes you can love something, but just not be cut out for it. I don't think I've seen it too often when someone puts in a Herculean effort and then flunks out. More often I see people back off from a challenge, procrastinate and then put in a last ditch effort that doesn't turn out so well.

E7.5 said:
Is there a certain threshold for when you know that you should throw in the towel and change career paths?

Sure. When you become bored with the subject.

Somehow I know where you read that :P.

The point in that thread is that one answer stated that one should study 8 additional hours AFTER classes, and 14 hours on Saturday. Consider that you need to sleep and eat as well, and probably would like to encounter the opposite sex once in a while (or the same sex, if that is your preference). This makes it impossible to keep up such study habits unless you are taking a very light course load and have extraordinary social skills and time management.

If you have the passion to study something for 8 hours a day (including classes) and don't get tired of it you may be a good fit. If you are not a good fit you will know it because you won't do the studying. It won't be interesting. I haven't met many people who keep at things they hate to do.

Don't worry about your grades so much. I've met very stupid people with straight A's. They learned just enough to get the grade and washed it down with alcohol after the finals. I've met brilliant guys who didn't pay much attention to their grades, but strived extracurricularly.

1. How do I know if I am struggling in my major because it's not right for me?

There are several signs that may indicate that your major is not the right fit for you. These include consistently poor grades, lack of interest or motivation in your coursework, and feeling overwhelmed or unfulfilled in your classes.

2. Can I change my major if I realize it's not the right fit?

Yes, most universities allow students to change their major if they feel that their current one is not the right fit for them. It's important to speak with an academic advisor to explore your options and create a plan for switching majors.

3. How do I determine which major is right for me?

Finding the right major for you involves a combination of self-reflection and exploration. Consider your interests, skills, and values, and research different majors to see which ones align with these factors. You can also speak with a career counselor for guidance.

4. Will changing my major delay my graduation?

It depends on how far along you are in your current major and how different your new major is. Changing majors may require you to take additional courses, which could delay your graduation. However, it's important to choose a major that you are passionate about and will lead to a fulfilling career, even if it means taking a bit longer to graduate.

5. How do I know if I should stick with my major or switch to a different one?

This can be a difficult decision, but ultimately it depends on your personal goals and priorities. If you are truly unhappy and struggling in your current major, it may be worth considering a switch. However, if you are passionate about your major and see potential for a fulfilling career, it may be worth sticking with it and finding ways to improve your experience in the major.