How do you manage your passwords?

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various methods for managing usernames and passwords, including using a personal system, keeping a physical list, and using password management software. Some individuals suggested using a code system for added security, while others shared their own techniques for remembering passwords. The conversation ended with a recommendation for the LastPass password management system.
Newai
I've a gazillion passwords in my list here and it's getting quite cumbersome. So I'm looking for some ideas. What do you do with your list of user names & passwords?

Physics news on Phys.org
For usernames, I try using one that is directly relevant to the website. Works most of the time.

For passwords, I got 3 levels:

Level 1 is for websites that are inconsequential in nature. Videogame websites, comedy websites, etc. I usually try to use a geometric form in the keyboard. For example, QWEDSA forms a rectangle (approx).

Level 2 is for forums, such as this, where I post opinions. I usually use a combination of date + geography (cap locks, spec characters, etc).

Level 3 is where my sensitive personal info is stored. I use the same 10 to 30 characters password, of a certain specific, obscure date in my life (caps, spec characters, #s)

I don't think it would be very prudent to answer this question, especially on the internet!

Mathnomalous said:
For usernames, I try using one that is directly relevant to the website. Works most of the time.

For passwords, I got 3 levels:

Level 1 is for websites that are inconsequential in nature. Videogame websites, comedy websites, etc. I usually try to use a geometric form in the keyboard. For example, QWEDSA forms a rectangle (approx).

Level 2 is for forums, such as this, where I post opinions. I usually use a combination of date + geography (cap locks, spec characters, etc).

Level 3 is where my sensitive personal info is stored. I use the same 10 to 30 characters password, of a certain specific, obscure date in my life (caps, spec characters, #s)
I'm actually more interested in what to do with my list than how to come up with names and passes. I've looked at password management software and have no experience with that. So I was just wondering what to do. I don't like keeping a physical list in a notepad, or a text file on my PC.

Dembadon said:
I don't think it would be very prudent to answer this question, especially on the internet!

Accidentally downloading trojan is more effective. I can actually give you a username + password and you would not know what to do with it. The key is useless if you do not know or cannot figure out what that key opens. ;)

Newai said:
I'm actually more interested in what to do with my list than how to come up with names and passes. I've looked at password management software and have no experience with that. So I was just wondering what to do. I don't like keeping a physical list in a notepad, or a text file on my PC.

Keep it in memory. Come up with a simple, personal system. A lot of unauthorized access is due to people leaving their info for all to see or generic answers to questions.

"what city where you born?"
*Go to person''s facebook; check city of birth."
*Access granted*

Newai said:
I've a gazillion passwords in my list here and it's getting quite cumbersome. So I'm looking for some ideas. What do you do with your list of user names & passwords?
I write them down with their referents. Different ones for different websites. What's the problem?

Gazillion isn't a number. What do you have 30, 50? So what? I've got, maybe, 270 different ones. Just write them down with their referents. Clearly. You can always type them out later and order them wrt some criterion (date, username, website, whatever).

Mathnomalous said:
Keep it in memory. Come up with a simple, personal system. A lot of unauthorized access is due to people leaving their info for all to see or generic answers to questions.

"what city where you born?"
*Go to person''s facebook; check city of birth."
*Access granted*

The way I manage the hint question is, I blindly select the first 3 hint questions, without even reading. And the hint answer I enter is a strong password, regardless of what the question might be.

All of my passwords and usernames, and the respective sites, are coded, and kept in a secret notebook [paper]. I would never keep them on my computer. Given that I've never had a problem since the internet began, I've never had to change my code, so it is second nature to translate as needed. The order of the list is determined by the start date.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
All of my passwords and usernames, and the respective sites, are coded, and kept in a secret notebook [paper]. I would never keep them on my computer. Given that I've never had a problem since the internet began, I've never had to change my code, so it is second nature to translate as needed. The order of the list is determined by the start date.
That's about right for my needs. I guess I'll have to figure out a code system.

Newai said:
That's about right for my needs. I guess I'll have to figure out a code system.

That'll be easy. I have my own, ofcourse, i won't tell anyone about it...:wink:

I've been using the same username on Starcraft for over a year and the password is just "L".

I use the same password for everything since I was 5. Never had anyone hack into any of my account.

Well actually my password on this forum is different but that's the only one.

zomgwtf said:
I use the same password for everything since I was 5. Never had anyone hack into any of my account.

Lol...I can't imagine having (or needing) a password at 5!

Showing my age again, aren't I...:rolleyes:

Use the LastPass password management system. It is free if mozilla firefox is used and it is equipped with an auto-login button that allows the user to select usernames and passwords from a collapsible list and as soon as an account is chosen, it automatically logs the user into the site. The manager also keeps a log in the downloaded internet files folder that can be accessed via the browser which lists the sites in which the user has an account in alphabetical order and the accounts for each site. This program also has an automatic search bar that allows the user to automatically jump to a particular site in their list if they have a long list.

zomgwtf said:

Hmm, let me guess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_development_stages#Five_year_old

Cognitive Development: 5 year olds

* Forms rectangle from two triangular cuts.
* Builds steps with set of small blocks.
* Understands concept of same shape, same size.
* Sorts objects on the basis of two dimensions, such as color and form.
* Sorts a variety of objects so that all things in the group have a single common feature (classification skill: all are food items or boats or animals).
* Understands the concepts of smallest and shortest; places objects in order from shortest to tallest, smallest to largest.
* Identifies objects with specified serial position: first, second, last.
* Rote counts to 20 and above; many children count to 100.
* Recognizes numerals from 1 to 10.
* Understands the concepts of less than: "Which bowl has less water?"
* Understands the terms dark, light, and early: "I got up early, before anyone else. It was still dark."
* Relates clock time to daily schedule: "Time to turn on TV when the little hand points to 5."
* Some children can tell time on the hour: five o'clock, two o'clock.
* Knows what a calendar is for.
* Recognizes and identifies coins; beginning to count and save money.
* Many children know the alphabet and names of upper- and lowercase letters.
* Understands the concept of half; can say how many pieces an object has when it's been cut in half.
* Asks innumerable questions: Why? What? Where? When?

lisab said:

Neither can I. So that makes you, what, about 27 years old? :wink:

I use my first intial and last name followed by the year I was born. No one would ever figure that out, even I have to look up how to spell my last name.

Kidding, I put the year first. :biggrin:

I use passwords only for PF, my on-line banking, PayPal, and Adventure Quest.
For anything else, I find that having firearms between my door and my computer is sufficient to keep snoopers out.

Mathnomalous said:
Accidentally downloading trojan is more effective. I can actually give you a username + password and you would not know what to do with it. The key is useless if you do not know or cannot figure out what that key opens. ;)

The key isn't useless; it still opens something. I'd try it in every door to which you have access. Eventually, something will open...

I use three passwords. Two of them are related, the other is a function!

lisab said:

My Benny on my shoulders over there had his first password ("Ben") at the age of 3 for his webkinz page.

Similar to others, I have three kinds of passwords, depending on security level. I also need to change some of the regularly, so each level has two variations (as an example, but not what I actually do, make a few 1337 changes). I have a book where I keep a list of usernames with password-hints. The hints are obvious to me, but impossible for anyone other than Dr. House.

Last edited:
When I worked for the government we had to get a new random 8 character alpha-numeric case-sensitive passwords every 90 days (or was it 6 months, can't remember). After they expired, I started using them for other stuff, so I basically have a list of 5 memorized, unguessable passwords that I use for random stuff, and like 3 that I use for the more important ones so I don't accidentally give my email/credit card one to some science forum that'll probably steal my identity...

I have a different password for every website, bank card and anything else.

I remember them, and if I forget, my system to encode and decode them works.

Mostly.

I just use KeePass to generate random passwords for everything and save them in an encrypted format. Then I just have to remember one (30 char randomly generated alpha+numeric+symbols) password. For all the unimportant ones (not banking) I just let my browser store them and trust in my disk encryption if my laptop ever goes missing.

Newai said:

I always use "aaaAAA111!" It seems to meet all the requirements for any password anywhere! And I always use the username "CrankSplatterGuard." Well, except for here.

It's always worked for me.

EDIT: Okay, whose the wise guy that IM'd my mom?
DOUBLE EDIT: Seriously, guys. All my money is gone.
TRIPLE EDIT: FLeXGANSHUP IS a L0OoOSER!111eleven
QUADRUPLE EDIT: [PLAIN]http://tecfa.unige.ch/~nova/img/all_your_base.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I create a strong password?

To create a strong password, use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Avoid using personal information such as your name or birthdate. It's also important to use a unique password for each account and to regularly change it.

2. Is it safe to store my passwords in a password manager?

Yes, using a reputable password manager is generally considered safe as they use encryption to protect your passwords. It is important to choose a strong master password for your password manager and to enable two-factor authentication for added security.

3. Should I write down my passwords?

It is generally not recommended to write down your passwords as it can increase the risk of them being stolen or compromised. However, if you do choose to write them down, make sure to keep them in a secure location and never share them with anyone.

4. How often should I change my passwords?

It is recommended to change your passwords every 3-6 months, especially for sensitive accounts such as banking or email. However, if you suspect that your password has been compromised, it is important to change it immediately.

5. What should I do if I forget my password?

If you forget your password, most websites and services have a "forgot password" option where you can reset your password. Make sure to choose a strong new password and consider using a password manager to avoid forgetting it in the future.