Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you measure dynamic loading of an actuator?

1. Feb 6, 2014 #1
    If I have a linear actuator, how can I find out how much force it can move with a constant velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Look at the datasheet for the static force. Why are you thinking there will be a constant velocity? Is it pushing against a friction force? If it is just pushing against a mass or moment of inertia, there will be an acceleration...

4. Feb 6, 2014 #3
    Hi Berkeman,
    Thanks for getting me back.
    I actually used a force gauge to measure the maximum static load for my actuator. It turned out to be 110N.

Sorry I may have added some confusions by assuming the constant velocity thing. I want to retract this statement.
    You are right that the more loading you have the slower the actuator goes.

The thing I am really confused about is the term "dynamic load" which can be found in the datasheet of the actuators. Does it mean the relationship between loading and speed of the actuator? By the term "dynamic load capacity", does it mean the loading at the minimum rated speed of the actuator?

I am really stuck.. My boss is killing me... I feel as if I have learnt nothing from my undergraduate degree. Please help!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook