Reducing Noise of Linear Actuator up to 125kg Force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Neekman99
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
Hi,
For a machine I am designing, the linear actuator would ideally not produce much noise as it is intended to be in a relatively quiet environment. Just wondering do all actuators produce a large amount of noise pollution (it would need to produce a force of up to 125kg so it is not a small actuator either)? How effective is using foam to reduce noise and would the subsequent hindrance to heat dissipation be an issue?
Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the application? I have recently acquired a cheap 3D printer. Initially the linear bearings were quite noisy but I replaced them with Drylin bearings which seem quieter than the cheap linear ball bearings supplied. The noise from the stepper motors varies a lot depending on how it's moving. The x and y-axis uses belts that make tooth noise whereas the z axis uses a lead screw which is quieter.

Foam helps absorb high frequency noise but for lower frequencies something with more mass might be helpful, perhaps a sandwich of cement board - foam - cement board? You also need to eliminate transmission through mountings or framing.

Yes wrapping everything in foam could cause overheating problems. Instead of making holes right through to let heat out make them staggered/offset so the holes don't line up. The more tortuous the path the less the noise will escape but the harder it is to blow air through. I suppose liquid cooling could be used to export heat but pipes and the fluid in them can also transmit noise.
 
I have worked with linear actuators much larger than that, and none have been very noisy. How noisy is it? What is the source of the noise? Is it the motor, the gear reducer, ball screw, or support bearings?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
CWatters said:
Initially the linear bearings were quite noisy but I replaced them with Drylin bearings which seem quieter than the cheap linear ball bearings supplied. The noise from the stepper motors varies a lot depending on how it's moving. The x and y-axis uses belts that make tooth noise whereas the z axis uses a lead screw which is quieter.

Really helpful, thank you!

jrmichler said:
I have worked with linear actuators much larger than that, and none have been very noisy. How noisy is it? What is the source of the noise? Is it the motor, the gear reducer, ball screw, or support bearings?

I've not actually had a chance to test any actuators yet, I just assumed that the bearings and motor would create quite a lot of noise (and from looking through forums seems like people have had similar issues). Do you think the noise is not significant enough to worry about? Quite hard to judge from looking at videos.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Neekman99 said:
Just wondering do all actuators produce a large amount of noise pollution
wipnel said:
Really helpful, thank you!
@wipnel -- Is there a problem with your original account @Neekman99 ?

Check your private messages and I'll try to help you get this fixed. :smile:
 
berkeman said:
@wipnel -- Is there a problem with your original account @Neekman99 ?

Check your private messages and I'll try to help you get this fixed. :smile:

Nope, 2 different people man :) I've sent you a reply ^
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman