How do you prove that a function is surjective?

In summary, proving that a function is surjective means showing that every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain. In the case of f(x) = x^3 with a domain and codomain of all integers (Z), it is not surjective because there does not exist an x such that f(x) = 2. The correct way to prove surjectivity is to show that for every y in the codomain, there exists an x in the domain such that f(x) = y.
sara_87
how do you prove that a function is surjective ?

i know that surjective means it is an onto function, and (i think) surjective functions have an equal range and codomain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are lots of ways one might go about doing it. The most direct is to prove every element in the codomain has at least one preimage. i.e. for a function [itex]f:X \to Y[/itex], to show

[tex]\forall y \in Y :\exists x \in X: f(x) = y[/tex]

how can i prove if f(x)= x^3, where the domain and the codomain are both the set of all integers: Z, is surjective or otherwise...the thing is, when i do the prove it comes out to be surjective but my teacher said that it isn't.

this is what i did:

y=x^3

and i said that that y belongs to Z and x^3 belong to Z so it is surjective

this is obviously wrong, but i don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Because, to repeat what I said, you need to show for every y, there exists an x such that f(x) = y!

You claim f is surjective -- that means (for example) that you can find an x such that f(x) = 2.

'Because, to repeat what I said, you need to show for every y, there exists an x such that f(x) = y!'
okay, easy! lol
i read that ten thousand times already! just give it time to sink in...okay it has sunk in

i guess it is not surjective then...thanx for opening up my eyes

Does there exist x in Z such that, for example, f(x)= x3= 2?

1. How do you define a surjective function?

A surjective function is a function in which every element in the range of the function has at least one pre-image in the domain. In other words, every element in the output has a corresponding input value.

2. What is the difference between surjective and injective functions?

A surjective function is one where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. An injective function, on the other hand, is one where each element in the range is mapped to by at most one element in the domain. In other words, a surjective function is "onto," while an injective function is "one-to-one."

3. How do you prove that a function is surjective?

To prove that a function is surjective, you must show that for every element in the range of the function, there exists at least one element in the domain that maps to it. This can be done algebraically by solving for the input value that gives the desired output, or by demonstrating a pattern or rule that shows how each element in the range can be mapped to from the domain.

4. What is the notation for a surjective function?

The notation for a surjective function is f: X → Y, where X is the domain and Y is the codomain or range. To show that the function is surjective, the notation would be f: X → Y, where the arrow has a double-headed arrowhead.

5. Can a function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a function can be both surjective and injective. This type of function is called a bijective function, meaning it is both "onto" and "one-to-one." In a bijective function, every element in the range is mapped to by exactly one element in the domain, and every element in the domain maps to exactly one element in the range.