Composition of surjective functions

In summary, a surjective function is a type of function in mathematics where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. The composition of two surjective functions is a new function that results from applying one function to the output of the other function. It is widely used in mathematics for creating new functions and simplifying complex problems. Not all surjective functions are injective, and to prove that a function is surjective, one must show that every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. This can be done through direct proof or proof by contradiction.
Korisnik
I'm learning maths myself, but I'm going to university in 2 months. This is my first try at proving anything.

Homework Statement

Prove that the composition of surjective functions is also a surjection.

Homework Equations

A definition of surjective function:
If [itex]f:S_1\rightarrow S_2[/itex] is a surjection:
[itex]\forall y\in S_2\exists x\in S_1:y=f(x)[/itex].

A definition of composition of functions:
If [itex]f:S_1\rightarrow S_2[/itex] and [itex]g:S_2\rightarrow S_3[/itex] are functions, then [itex]h:S_1\rightarrow S_3[/itex] is the composition of functions f and g:
[itex]g\circ f(x)=g[f(x)]=g(y)=z[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read some of the texts that talk about proofs, and all of them made sense to me, for example the proving of an irrational number and square roots, but I can't say if this proof is "enough".

If [itex]f:S_1\rightarrow S_2[/itex] and [itex]g:S_2\rightarrow S_3[/itex] are surjections by definitions:

[itex]\forall y\in S_2\exists x\in S_1:y=f(x)\ \ \ \ (1)[/itex]
[itex]\forall z\in S_3\exists y\in S_2:z=g(y)\ \ \ \ (2)[/itex],

composition of these two functions [itex]g\circ f(x)[/itex] is also a surjection.

We have to prove:
[itex]\forall z\in S_3\exists x\in S_1:z=g\circ f(x)[/itex].

Let [itex]z\in S_3[/itex], then there is a particular [itex]y\in S_2[/itex] such that [itex]z=g(y)[/itex] by the [itex](2)[/itex] axiom and there is a particular [itex]x\in S_1[/itex] such that [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] by the [itex](1)[/itex] axiom. It follows that [itex]z=g(y)=g[f(x)]=g\circ f(x)[/itex] which is by the definition, the composite of functions [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]. This means that for all [itex]z[/itex] we've found a particular [itex]x[/itex] for which the statement is true.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is fine. I noticed one typo: you wrote ##g : S_1 \rightarrow S_2## when it should be ##g : S_2 \rightarrow S_3##. Also, a minor notational observation: the "mapsto" arrow ##\mapsto## is usually used to indicate how elements are mapped, whereas the "rightarrow" arrow ##\rightarrow## is used for the domain and codomain. Example: the function ##f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## defined by ##x \mapsto x^2##.

By the way, a good practice to help understand a theorem and its proof is to consider what happens if one of the hypotheses is excluded. Can you come up with examples where only one of ##f## or ##g## is a surjection, and ##g \circ f## fails to be a surjection?

jbunniii said:
Your proof is fine. I noticed one typo: you wrote ##g : S_1 \rightarrow S_2## when it should be ##g : S_2 \rightarrow S_3##. Also, a minor notational observation: the "mapsto" arrow ##\mapsto## is usually used to indicate how elements are mapped, whereas the "rightarrow" arrow ##\rightarrow## is used for the domain and codomain. Example: the function ##f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## defined by ##x \mapsto x^2##.
Yes, it was a typo indeed, I kept checking, but this scheme-text (3 parts of asking a homework question) kept popping up so I had to delete it.

I've been told to use the "mapsto" when I used "rightarrow"... even though in the book the "rightarrow" is used. Sorry for that.

By the way, a good practice to help understand a theorem and its proof is to consider what happens if one of the hypotheses is excluded. Can you come up with examples where only one of [itex]f[/itex] or [itex]g[/itex] is a surjection, and [itex]g\circ f[/itex] fails to be a surjection?
Isn't a surjection just a matter of defining sets (domain and co-domain), therefore if a function is defined otherwise, I can claim it's (not) a surjection.
(For example, [itex]f(x)=x^2, f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}[/itex] is a surjection, whereas if it was defined as [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] it wouldn't be a surjection.)

Example where [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are not both surjections:

[itex]f(x)=2x\space (1)\\g(y)=y^2\space (2)\\g\circ f(x)=4x^2\space (3)[/itex]

[itex](1)[/itex] is a surjective, [itex](2)[/itex] isn't, and so [itex](3)[/itex] isn't.

Korisnik said:
I've been told to use the "mapsto" when I used "rightarrow"... even though in the book the "rightarrow" is used. Sorry for that.
It's not a big deal, if your instructor prefers "mapsto" then go ahead and use that.

Isn't a surjection just a matter of defining sets (domain and co-domain), therefore if a function is defined otherwise, I can claim it's (not) a surjection.
(For example, [itex]f(x)=x^2, f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}[/itex] is a surjection, whereas if it was defined as [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] it wouldn't be a surjection.)
Yes, this is all correct.
Example where [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are not both surjections:

[itex]f(x)=2x\space (1)\\g(y)=y^2\space (2)\\g\circ f(x)=4x^2\space (3)[/itex]

[itex](1)[/itex] is a surjective, [itex](2)[/itex] isn't, and so [itex](3)[/itex] isn't.
Right, assuming the codomain of ##g## is something larger than ##\mathbb{R}^+## (for example ##\mathbb{R}##).

How about if ##g## is a surjection but ##f## is not? Do you see what goes wrong in that case?

jbunniii said:
[...] How about if ##g## is a surjection but ##f## is not? Do you see what goes wrong in that case?
I hope so, I'll try to illustrate.

Using the same functions but switching names (assuming: [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] for [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex] and [itex]g:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] for [itex]g(y)=2y[/itex]).

[itex]g\circ f(x)=2x^2[/itex], which again isn't a surjection (if it was, it would be [itex]g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]), because in reality:

[itex]g\circ f(x)=g\circ f(\mathbb{R})=g[f(\mathbb{R})]=g(\mathbb{R^+})=\mathbb{R^+}\Rightarrow g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}[/itex].

Therefore condition ([itex]g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]) isn't fulfilled, and it's not a surjection.

If that's what You meant.

Korisnik said:
I hope so, I'll try to illustrate.

Using the same functions but switching names (assuming: [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] for [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex] and [itex]g:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] for [itex]g(y)=2y[/itex]).

[itex]g\circ f(x)=2x^2[/itex], which again isn't a surjection (if it was, it would be [itex]g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]), because in reality:

[itex]g\circ f(x)=g\circ f(\mathbb{R})=g[f(\mathbb{R})]=g(\mathbb{R^+})=\mathbb{R^+}\Rightarrow g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}[/itex].

Therefore condition ([itex]g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex]) isn't fulfilled, and it's not a surjection.

If that's what You meant.
Yes, that's what I meant, although be careful about the statement that ##g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}##. The set to the right of the ##\rightarrow## is the codomain, not necessarily the image. Indeed, we must have ##g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## because the codomain of ##g \circ f## is the same as the codomain of ##g## (by definition). However, ##g \circ f## is not a surjection because ##g(f(\mathbb{R})) = \mathbb{R^+}##, which is a strict subset of the codomain ##\mathbb{R}##.

jbunniii said:
Yes, that's what I meant, although be careful about the statement that ##g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}##. The set to the right of the ##\rightarrow## is the codomain, not necessarily the image. Indeed, we must have ##g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## because the codomain of ##g \circ f## is the same as the codomain of ##g## (by definition). However, ##g \circ f## is not a surjection because ##g(f(\mathbb{R})) = \mathbb{R^+}##, which is a strict subset of the codomain ##\mathbb{R}##.
Yes but I wrote "in reality"... hahah. It was a quazi-conclusion about "real" codomain to make it easier to compare what has to be compared. Thanks for everything!

Korisnik said:
Yes but I wrote "in reality"... hahah. It was a quazi-conclusion about "real" codomain to make it easier to compare what has to be compared. Thanks for everything!
Yes, I understood what you meant. Just wanted to point out that the "right" way to say it is that ##g(f(\mathbb{R})) = \mathbb{R^+}##, not ##g\circ f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^+}##. Mathematicians (probably including the ones grading your homework once you get to your university) are pretty pedantic about notation. :biggrin:

1. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function is a type of function in mathematics where every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, for every output value, there is at least one input value that produces that output.

2. How is the composition of two surjective functions defined?

The composition of two surjective functions is a new function that results from applying one function to the output of the other function. It is defined as f o g(x) = f(g(x)), where f and g are the two surjective functions and x is an element in the domain of g.

3. What is the role of the composition of surjective functions in mathematics?

The composition of surjective functions is widely used in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and topology. It allows for the creation of new functions from existing ones, which can help simplify complex problems and proofs.

4. Are all surjective functions also injective?

No, not all surjective functions are also injective. A function can be surjective without being injective, which means that there can be multiple elements in the domain that map to the same element in the range.

5. How can one prove that a function is surjective?

To prove that a function is surjective, one must show that for every element in the range, there is at least one element in the domain that maps to it. This can be done by using a direct proof or a proof by contradiction.