How do you prove this consequence of the triangle inequality?

In summary, we can prove that for x,y\in \mathbb{R}^n, the following relation holds: |(||x||-||y||)|\leq||x-y||.
AxiomOfChoice
I should know how to do this, but I just can't figure it out. Should be a piece of cake. How do you prove, for [itex]x,y\in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex]:

[tex]
\left| (||x|| - ||y||) \right| \leq ||x-y||
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
We have:
[tex]||x+y||\leq{||}x||+||y||[/tex]

Now, set x=z-y

Then, we get:
[tex]||z||\leq{||z-y||}+||y||[/tex],
For completely arbitrary z and y.

utilize this to derive the desired relation, i.e:
[tex]-||u-v||\leq{||u||}-||v||\leq{||}||u-v||[/tex]

AxiomOfChoice said:
I should know how to do this, but I just can't figure it out. Should be a piece of cake. How do you prove, for [itex]x,y\in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex]:

[tex]
\left| (||x|| - ||y||) \right| \leq ||x-y||
[/tex]

||x||=||x-y+y||[tex]\leq[/tex]||x-y||+||y|| ======>

||x||-||y||[tex]\leq[/tex]||x-y||............1

||y||= ||y-x+x||[tex]\leq[/tex]||x-y||+||x||======>

||y||-||x||[tex]\leq||x-y||[/tex] =======>

||x||-||y||[tex]\geq[/tex]-||x-y||............2

from (1) and (2) we get:

-||x-y||[tex]\leq ||x||-||y||\leq ||x-y|| \Longleftrightarrow|(||x||-||y||)|\leq||x-y||[/tex]

1. What is the triangle inequality?

The triangle inequality states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.

2. How do you prove the triangle inequality?

There are multiple ways to prove the triangle inequality, but one common method is to use the Pythagorean theorem. Another approach is to use the law of cosines.

3. What is the significance of proving the triangle inequality?

Proving the triangle inequality is important because it is a fundamental property of triangles in geometry. It is also used in various mathematical proofs and has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

4. Can you give an example of how the triangle inequality is used in real life?

One example is in the construction of bridges. Engineers use the triangle inequality to ensure that the bridge is strong enough to support the weight of the vehicles passing over it.

5. Are there any exceptions to the triangle inequality?

Yes, there are exceptions to the triangle inequality. One example is the degenerate triangle, where one side has a length of zero. Another exception is in non-Euclidean geometries, where the triangle inequality does not hold. However, in Euclidean geometry, the triangle inequality always holds true.