How do you reference simultaneous publications to each other ?

In summary, you can reference papers that are pending publication, review, or rejection to another journal as "submitted for publication" or "accepted for publication". Additionally, if you have uploaded the paper to a repository such as ArXiv, you can cite the ArXiv reference. However, if the papers depend on each other for clarification, they should not have been separate papers to begin with.
rogerharris
If i have three or four papers pending publication, review, rejection to another journal etc (a process out my control) and these papers depend on each other for clarification then how do you reference them to each other ?

can you reference to a pending publication such as a repository held version of the paper which i have uploaded ?

Physics news on Phys.org
rogerharris said:
If i have three or four papers pending publication, review, rejection to another journal etc (a process out my control) and these papers depend on each other for clarification then how do you reference them to each other ?

can you reference to a pending publication such as a repository held version of the paper which i have uploaded ?

You can either reference them as "submitted for publication" or "accepted for publication", or if you have it uploaded to a repository such as ArXiv, then cite the ArXiv reference.

Zz.

That said, if the papers "depend on each other for clarification", they should never have been separate papers to begin with.

ZapperZ said:
You can either reference them as "submitted for publication" or "accepted for publication", or if you have it uploaded to a repository such as ArXiv, then cite the ArXiv reference.

Zz.

Thanks Zz.

1. How do you determine which publication to reference first?

The general rule is to reference the older publication first, as it is considered the original source of information. However, if the publications were released simultaneously, you can reference them in any order as long as you are consistent throughout your references.

2. Do I need to include the full citation for both publications?

Yes, it is important to include the full citation for both publications in order to give credit to the authors and provide enough information for readers to locate the sources. You can use the same format for both references or follow the specific guidelines of the citation style you are using.

3. How do I reference publications with multiple authors?

If both publications have the same group of authors, you can list their names once and then use "and colleagues" or "et al." for subsequent references. If the publications have different authors, you can list all of their names in the order they appear on each publication.

4. Can I use the same in-text citation for both publications?

No, each publication should have its own unique in-text citation. This is important in order to distinguish between the two publications and give credit to the correct authors.

5. How do I reference publications from different years?

If the publications were released in different years, you can use the same format as you would for referencing multiple publications from the same year. Include the year of publication after the authors' names in the in-text citation and include the full citation for each publication in your reference list.