How do you remember all of the math applictaions?

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
In summary, most calculus books have tables with all of the formulas that you're probably looking for. James Stewart's calculus book has a very useful front and back end paper for single variable calculus, as well as for algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric relations. As others have said, this is by no means a substitute for good old-fashioned practice. But it'll help you check your work while you're practicing, if that's what you need.Sparknotes charts are not typically good for reviewing math concepts. They are designed to help you remember jokes and are not particularly useful for learning math. Finally, it is recommended that students review math concepts for at least 3 to 4 hours per day, but 10 minutes every day
AznBoi
What is the easiest way to review math concepts, trig identities and such? Are sparknotes charts good? Does anyone know of any good book or review sheet that gives you many of the useful laws, formulas and what not? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing better than being mathematically active.

AznBoi said:
How do you remember all of the math applictaions?
Practice .

Werg22 said:
There's nothing better than being mathematically active.

I agree. The more you use something, the harder it is to forget it. It's almost as if you don't need to memorize things in the first place if you use them enough.

Yeah I'm practicing right now and I remember many things, but usually I'm skeptical about if I doing it right or not. I would like some sort of reference that I can check my work with. That way I will have a better chance of remembering the correct information.

Most calculus books have tables with all of the formulas that you're probably looking for. James Stewart's calculus book has a very useful front and back end paper for single variable calculus, as well as for algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric relations. As others have said, this is by no means a substitute for good old-fashioned practice. But it'll help you check your work while you're practicing, if that's what you need.

Is Sparknotes charts good? Has anyone used them for math before?

So how do you guys review everything? With everything else going on in school how do you find the time? What do you review, from where, and how what methods do you use? Do you review 10 min everday? 1 hr per week? What is the best amount of time I should spend review so I can permanently drill the knowledge into my mind?? thanks

3 to 4 hours /day

G01 said:
I agree. The more you use something, the harder it is to forget it. It's almost as if you don't need to memorize things in the first place if you use them enough.

Haha, I see you watch The Office, hilarious show!

practice makes perfect :)

One of the more frustrating things I've encountered during my math classes are professors that enjoy putting problems on tests that require obscure trig identities in order to solve.

Mnemonic methods work best for me when I have to memorize a large number of formulas. I usually assign verbs to arithmetic symbols, nouns to variables, locations to constants, and other stuff to grouping symbols. It let's me create a story in my head that's much easier for me to remember then trying to do it by route. Of course, you should be able to derive most equations on your own if you get stuck and can’t remember something; this is mainly for things like trig identities, integral tables, derivative tables, laplace transforms, etc…..

kdinser said:
One of the more frustrating things I've encountered during my math classes are professors that enjoy putting problems on tests that require obscure trig identities in order to solve.
One only needs to know three, or so, trig identities. All others can be derived from these. Don't waste time trying to memorise absolutely everything!

That's the problem cristo... if you only have three or so identities memorized, when you reach a problem that requires knowing the quintuple sine formula, you just might have no idea that's what you need to derive

Werg22 said:
Haha, I see you watch The Office, hilarious show!

It's a great show! Absolute comedic genius.

1. How do you remember all of the math applications?

As a scientist, I have a strong foundation in mathematics and have spent years practicing and applying various mathematical concepts. Additionally, I have developed various strategies and techniques to help me remember and apply mathematical formulas and principles.

2. Is there a specific method you use to remember math applications?

Yes, I often use mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or rhymes, to help me remember mathematical formulas and concepts. I also regularly practice and review mathematical problems to reinforce my understanding and memory.

3. How do you stay updated on new math applications?

As a scientist, it is important to stay updated on new developments and advancements in mathematics. I regularly read scientific journals, attend conferences and workshops, and collaborate with other mathematicians to stay informed about new math applications.

4. Do you have any tips for remembering complex math applications?

One helpful tip is to break down complex math applications into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for a better understanding of the overall concept and makes it easier to remember. It is also important to regularly practice and review the math applications to reinforce memory.

5. How do you apply math in your scientific research?

Math is an essential tool in scientific research. I use mathematical principles and formulas to analyze and interpret data, create models and simulations, and make predictions about natural phenomena. I also collaborate with other scientists to apply mathematical techniques in our research projects.