1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you remember all of the math applictaions?

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    What is the easiest way to review math concepts, trig identities and such? Are sparknotes charts good? Does anyone know of any good book or review sheet that gives you many of the useful laws, formulas and what not? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    There's nothing better than being mathematically active.

4. May 26, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Practice .

5. May 26, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree. The more you use something, the harder it is to forget it. It's almost as if you don't need to memorize things in the first place if you use them enough.

6. May 26, 2007 #5
    Yeah I'm practicing right now and I remember many things, but usually I'm skeptical about if I doing it right or not. I would like some sort of reference that I can check my work with. That way I will have a better chance of remembering the correct information.

7. May 26, 2007 #6
    Most calculus books have tables with all of the formulas that you're probably looking for. James Stewart's calculus book has a very useful front and back end paper for single variable calculus, as well as for algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric relations. As others have said, this is by no means a substitute for good old-fashioned practice. But it'll help you check your work while you're practicing, if that's what you need.

8. May 26, 2007 #7
    Is Sparknotes charts good? Has anyone used them for math before?

9. May 26, 2007 #8
    So how do you guys review everything? With everything else going on in school how do you find the time? What do you review, from where, and how what methods do you use? Do you review 10 min everday? 1 hr per week? What is the best amount of time I should spend review so I can permanently drill the knowledge into my mind?? thanks

10. May 26, 2007 #9
    3 to 4 hours /day

11. May 26, 2007 #10
    Haha, I see you watch The Office, hilarious show!

12. May 27, 2007 #11
    practice makes perfect :)

13. May 27, 2007 #12
    One of the more frustrating things I've encountered during my math classes are professors that enjoy putting problems on tests that require obscure trig identities in order to solve.

Mnemonic methods work best for me when I have to memorize a large number of formulas. I usually assign verbs to arithmetic symbols, nouns to variables, locations to constants, and other stuff to grouping symbols. It lets me create a story in my head that's much easier for me to remember then trying to do it by route. Of course, you should be able to derive most equations on your own if you get stuck and can’t remember something; this is mainly for things like trig identities, integral tables, derivative tables, laplace transforms, etc…..

14. May 27, 2007 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One only needs to know three, or so, trig identities. All others can be derived from these. Don't waste time trying to memorise absolutely everything!

15. May 28, 2007 #14

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the problem cristo.... if you only have three or so identities memorized, when you reach a problem that requires knowing the quintuple sine formula, you just might have no idea that's what you need to derive

16. May 28, 2007 #15

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a great show!!!! Absolute comedic genius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?