How Do You Sketch a Velocity-Time Graph for Constant Velocity and Acceleration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iamBevan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
iamBevan
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi guys - i need some help with a really simple problem. I've just started doing physics in college, and I've had a homework question that just doesn't work out for me (I also have the answers).

A particle moves in a straight line with a constant velocity of 5m/s for 2 seconds. It then moves with a constant acceleration of -2m/s^2 for 8 seconds. Sketch a velocity-time graph for the interval of 10 seconds and find:

a) the final velocity
b)the total distance covered by the particle
c)the increase in displacement of the particle

i'm getting -10m/s for a - then 44.5m for b.

Could someone tell me if I'm atleast heading in the right direction? (no pun intended)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
iamBevan said:
Hi guys - i need some help with a really simple problem. I've just started doing physics in college, and I've had a homework question that just doesn't work out for me (I also have the answers).

A particle moves in a straight line with a constant velocity of 5m/s for 2 seconds. It then moves with a constant acceleration of -2m/s^2 for 8 seconds. Sketch a velocity-time graph for the interval of 10 seconds and find:

a) the final velocity
b)the total distance covered by the particle
c)the increase in displacement of the particle

i'm getting -10m/s for a - then 44.5m for b.

Could someone tell me if I'm at least heading in the right direction? (no pun intended)

If the initial velocity is 5 [given] and the final velocity is -10 [your calculation] then the change is -15.

AN acceleration of -2 for 8 seconds does not give -15 .
 
If I know my vector is -2m/s^2 then - how will I work out the final velocity of that vector from that?
 
iamBevan said:
If I know my vector is -2m/s^2 then - how will I work out the final velocity of that vector from that?

Why did you say your vector was -2 m/s2?

Surely you meant your acceleration was -2 m/s2.
 
iamBevan said:
Isn't the vector describing an acceleration?

Both velocity and acceleration are vectors