How Do You Solve for I in a Series of Beam Deflection Equations?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mattaddis
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mattaddis
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello there,

I need some help rearranging a combination of equations and was wondering if someone could help? I am attempting to find the sum of the deflection in a beam, but to do so for the boundary conditions require a total of four formulas in series.

I need to solve the attached equation for I, which is common throughout.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
 
Attachments
  • equation.JPG
    equation.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 497
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the only place I see ##I## is in the denominator of each summand.
So can't you just factor it out?
$$\sum \delta = \frac{1}{24 E I} \left\{ \vphantom{\frac{W_1}{E I}} \cdots \right\}$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
CompuChip,

Thanks for that. I feel a bit thick now. It worked and I got the desired solution.

Matt
 
No problem, we all make those mistakes.
I was just afraid that you were going to say "Oh, I forgot to mention that the I1,2,3 are the components of I", or "W depends on I" or something nasty like that :)