How Do You Solve for the Time Given Initial Velocity and Angle?

In summary, the time for the ball to reach its highest point can be found using the equation V^2 = Vi^2 + 2(a)(y) or by using the simpler equation V_{f}=V_{i}+at, which yields a time of 1.37 seconds.
papa_smurf493

Homework Statement

A left-handed pitcher at sea level throws a baseball at a 45o angle with an initial speed of 19 m/s. The time for the ball to reach its highest point can be found from the data and known constants using which equations? Solve for the time.

Homework Equations

V^2 = Vi^2 + 2(a)(y)
y = (Vi)(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

V^2 = Vi^2 + 2(a)(y)
0 = 13.435^2 + 2*9.8*y
y = 9.21 meters

9.21 = 0 + 0.5*9.8*t^2
9.21 = 4.9*t^2
t = 1.37 seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, correct, but you could have shortened your work by using just one simpler equation. Can you identify that equation?

Looks okay.
I used this:
V[tex]_{f}[/tex]=V[tex]_{i}[/tex]+at

velocity at the highest point is 0, so..

0[tex]m/s[/tex] =19[tex]m/s[/tex] sin45°-9.8[tex]m/s^{2}[/tex] *t
t=1.37s

Related to How Do You Solve for the Time Given Initial Velocity and Angle?

1. How important is it to have my work checked by a scientist?

Having your work checked by a scientist is very important because they have the expertise and knowledge to identify any errors or flaws in your research. This can ensure that your work is accurate and credible.

2. What can a scientist check for in my work?

A scientist can check for errors in data collection, analysis, and interpretation. They can also review your methodology and provide suggestions for improvement.

3. Will a scientist provide feedback on my work?

Yes, a scientist will provide feedback on your work. They can offer constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement to help you strengthen your research.

4. How long does it take for a scientist to check my work?

The time it takes for a scientist to check your work can vary depending on the complexity and length of your research. It is best to discuss a timeline with the scientist beforehand to ensure they have enough time to thoroughly review your work.

5. How can I find a scientist to check my work?

You can find a scientist to check your work by reaching out to colleagues or professors in your field of study. You can also search online for professional organizations or forums where you can connect with scientists who may be willing to review your work.