How do you solve for time if a, v, and s are given

• Thread starter Newonsite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a load to reach the end of a given distance, with velocity and acceleration also provided. The attempted solution involves using the formula s=vi(t)+0.5(a)(t)^2 to calculate distance, but the issue is finding the missing variable of time. The problem does not specify if the acceleration is constant, so the relevant equation may not be applicable.
Newonsite

Homework Statement

I need to find the time it takes a load to reach the end of a distance. Velocity and acceleration are also given.

Homework Equations

I was thinking of using t=vf-vi/(a) but this does not incorporate distance which I already have.
I would use the above formula to calculate distance (s=vi(t)+0.5(a)(t)^2) but I would need time to solve it and that is what I am solving for.

The Attempt at a Solution

No real attempt as I am not sure if I am using the correct formula.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Newonsite said:
I would use the above formula to calculate distance (s=vi(t)+0.5(a)(t)^2) but I would need time to solve it and that is what I am solving for.
Why can't you solve this equation for t?

Newonsite said:
Are you familiar with the quadratic formula from 1st year Algebra?

Does the statement of the problem say or imply that the acceleration is constant? If it isn't, you cannot use the relevant equation that you quoted.

1. How do you solve for time if acceleration, velocity, and displacement are given?

To solve for time in this scenario, you can use the formula t = (v - u) / a, where t is time, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and a is acceleration.

2. Is there a specific unit that time should be measured in when solving for it?

Yes, time should be measured in seconds (s) when using the formula t = (v - u) / a to solve for time.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of motion, or only linear motion?

The formula t = (v - u) / a can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration remains constant.

4. What if the acceleration is not constant? Can the formula still be used?

If the acceleration is not constant, the formula t = (v - u) / a cannot be used. In this case, other methods such as calculus or graphing may be necessary to solve for time.

5. Are there any other formulas or methods to solve for time if a, v, and s are given?

Yes, there are other formulas and methods that can be used to solve for time. One example is the formula t = s / v, where t is time, s is displacement, and v is velocity. Additionally, using graphs and equations of motion can also help in solving for time.