How Do You Solve for x in Terms of y for Quadratic and Higher Order Polynomials?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quadratic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Jules18
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
How do you explicitly solve for x in terms of y using this quadratic formula?

y = 2x2 + x

I need to solve for x in order to find the inverse fxn. I know how to factor, but after that I'm stuck.
Any suggestions?

~Jules~


* And what about polynomials of a higher order, like x3 + 2x2 + x, or something similar?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:
How do you explicitly solve for x in terms of y using this quadratic formula?

y = 2x2 + x
There is no inverse function for y = 2x^2 + x. For some values of y there are more than one value of x (eg. y = 0 or y = 1). So you cannot express x in terms of y.

AM
 
Jules18 said:
How do you explicitly solve for x in terms of y using this quadratic formula?

y = 2x2 + x

I need to solve for x in order to find the inverse fxn. I know how to factor, but after that I'm stuck.
Any suggestions?

~Jules~


* And what about polynomials of a higher order, like x3 + 2x2 + x, or something similar?
Are you not aware of the quadratic formula? If [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] then [itex]x= (-b\pm\sqrt{b^2- 4ac})/(2a)[/itex].

In particular, if [itex]y= 2x^2+ x[/itex] then [itex]2x^2+ x- y= 0[/itex] so
[tex]\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1+8y}}{4}[/tex]

It is that [itex]\pm[/itex] that prevents this from being a "true" inverse, as Andrew Mason said. We could divide y into two functions, restricting the domain:

If [itex]f_1(x)= 2x^2+ x[/itex] for [itex]-\infty< x\le -1/4[/itex] then
[tex]f_1^{-1}(x)= \frac{-1-\sqrt{1+8x}{4}[/tex]

If [tex]f_2(x)= 2x^2+ x[/itex] for [itex]-1/4\le x< \infty[/itex] then<br /> [tex]f_2^{-1}(x)= \frac{-1+ \sqrt{1+8x}{4}[/tex]<br /> <br /> There is a general formula for cubics and quartics but they are extremely complicated. It can be shown that cannot be a general formula solve polynomial equations of degree higher than four using only algebraic functions.[/tex]