1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you use the unit circle to evaluate inverse functions

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a sample problem: arcsin(-1/2)

2. The attempt at a solution

do i look at the unit circle and find the y-coordinate or x-coordinate that has -1/2?

i did ASTC, and figure that it'd be in either quad 3 or quad 4; to tell you the truth i dont understand how to use the unit circle to figure this out.

i can enter it in the calculator but my calculator doesn't change the answer into a function, for instance 9pi/5 or 5pi/6 or 5pi/7
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Just DRAW IT. Identify the points on the unit circle which have sine of -(1/2). There are two of these points. One is in Q3 and the other is in Q4. You read arcsine(-1/2) as "The angle whose sine is negative one-half". You are interested in identifying this angle.
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    i dont understand what you are trying to say mr.

i have it drawn, i am looking at it. i see two quadrants that have the points but i do not see the points themselves.

can you elaborate on how to find the two points. what you said is was not very helpful.

which points do i look at? the x and y values? x coordinates? or y coordinates? be more specific because i dont comprehend you.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    How do you define the unit circle what is x-coordinate and what is the y-coordinate they correspond to some trigonometry functions.... You are trying to find the coordinate that corresponds to an angle that will give -1/2 when you take the sin of it... like arcsin (.5) = 30
  6. Feb 17, 2008 #5
    im lost. what?
  7. Feb 17, 2008 #6
    Any point on the unit circle corresponds to what? Tell me please
  8. Feb 17, 2008 #7
    the radius?
  9. Feb 17, 2008 #8
    There is a coordinate axis drawn with the unit circle or not? What does a point on the unit circle mean with reference to that coordinate axis? The name UNIT circle embodies the radius in it
  10. Feb 17, 2008 #9
    does it correspond to the angle in radians?
  11. Feb 17, 2008 #10
  12. Feb 17, 2008 #11
    yeah it looks similar to what i have drawn, that point is pi/3 or better known as the coordinate (1/2, (square root of 3) / 2 )
  13. Feb 17, 2008 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Biest has asked twice about a point and you respond with a number. I think your confusion goes back to what you said in your first post:
    In order to use the unit circle to give you sine or cosine or their inverse functions you have to know that: cos(x) is the x coordinate and sin(x) is the y coordinate of a point on the unit circle. In other words each point is (cos(x), sin(x)). x is the angle (in radians it is the same as the distance around the circle's circumference from (1, 0) to (cos(x), sin(x)).

Draw a unit circle on a coordinate and then draw the horizontal line y= -1/2. It will cross the circle in two places. Since the y coordinate is negative those two points are in the third and fourth quadrants.
  14. Feb 17, 2008 #13
    Read the post before this one and draw a line intersecting the x-axis through the point you mention here.... that should give you one of the answers
  15. Feb 17, 2008 #14
    one of the answers is 5pi/3?
  16. Feb 17, 2008 #15
    30 degrees off
  17. Feb 17, 2008 #16
    well you see, the line intersecting the pi/3 also intersects 5pi/3...
  18. Feb 17, 2008 #17
    Yes, but you are looking at the x-coordinate not the y-coordinate... i wanted you to look at the lower quadrants. You still have not understood what the POINTS on the unit circle are.... that is key here.
  19. Feb 17, 2008 #18
    ok can we start with the points then
  20. Feb 17, 2008 #19
    there is a link to a diagram.... look at it carefully. it defines what the points are
  21. Feb 17, 2008 #20
    where at
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?