1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does a current balance work?

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I am looking for a very simplistic and understandable explanation for how it works as I don't seem to find any place that explains it well... I am just doing A Level which is equivalent to high school.

Also I've looked at a practice question in the book, and I've been given B (2.0x10^-3) and current (1.0A). I've been asked to find what the mass must be hanged on the other side in order for the system to be balanced, but I don't know how to since I haven't been given the length of the wire... I wanted to equate F = BIL (if I had the length) to the weight of the mass (mg) but I cannot do that unless I assume some sort of length. When I said l = 1 then I got 2.0 x 10^-4. There is no answer in the book... any ideas of how I'd approach this?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's a current balance? Can you post a diagram or picture?

Also, it's best if you make a habit of carrying units along in your variables and calculations. When you say you are given "given B (2.0x10^-3)", what are the units?

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3
    Unit is the Tesla. 2q1ywqb.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted