How does a magnetizer/demagnetizer work?

In summary, these things can be used to magnetize/demagnetize tools, e.g. screwdrivers. They work by supplying progressively less magnetizing force when the tool is passed thru a series of windows. For example, the video explains how the demagnetizer in example A works.
greypilgrim
Hi.
These things can be used to magnetize/demagnetize tools, e.g. screwdrivers:
Magnetizer.jpg

How do they work? I'm particularly interested in the demagnetizer part. How do the field lines look like?
And why is there this stair-like structure in the upper hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know how powered magnetizers and powered demagnitizers work, but I haven't seen effective unpowered versions. Can you provide a link to that product's datasheet or other info?

BTW, the search term for a powered demagnitizer is "DeGauss Coil". I'm assuming you know how a powered magnetizing coil works. :smile:

By sequentially using steps in the de-magnetize window, the device supplies progressively less magnetizing force when the tool is passed thru.
See this link for details:
https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-tool-demagnetizer-work

Tom.G said:
By sequentially using steps in the de-magnetize window, the device supplies progressively less magnetizing force when the tool is passed thru.
See this link for details:
https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-tool-demagnetizer-work
This video does not exist
I wasn't able to watch the video, but does it show the tool being turned or in some other way being exposed to a decreasing alternating magnetic field?

Likes davenn
yup, same problem as berkeman, video doesn't exist

This video does not exist

Hmm, so it doesn't. I didn't even try to watch it.
Here is one that exists, at least at the moment.

interesting

would love to know how the demag part works

davenn said:
interesting

would love to know how the demag part works
After watching numerous videos of how the demagnetizer apparently doesn't work, I decided to build one last night.
tool.mag.demag.test.setup.2016.08.16.png

Interesting project, and results.
What everyone missed, was that the paperclip/screw/metal thingy became magnetized when touched with a magnetized tool.
So even if they did successfully demagnetize their screwdriver, their metal test object would still be attracted to it.

Without actually having one, I had to guess as to how they work.
Here is my theory:

oms.theory.png

The explanation for example A is self apparent to me.
Example B displays over-demagnetization.
Example C kind of explains the stair-step structure of the demagnetizer: Just the correct reduced magnitude of a reversed field strength will theoretically demagnetize the screwdriver.

ps. I would wordsmith my explanation, but I'm late for an appointment with the coast. Ciao!

1. How does a magnetizer/demagnetizer work?

A magnetizer/demagnetizer works by using an electric current to align the magnetic domains of a material, creating a magnetic field. This field can then magnetize or demagnetize nearby objects, depending on the direction of the current and the strength of the field.

2. What materials can be magnetized or demagnetized?

Most materials that contain iron, nickel, or cobalt can be magnetized or demagnetized. This includes objects made of steel, as well as certain types of alloys and ceramics.

3. How is a magnetizer/demagnetizer different from a regular magnet?

A regular magnet has a fixed magnetic field that cannot be adjusted, while a magnetizer/demagnetizer allows for the creation and manipulation of magnetic fields. Additionally, a regular magnet is typically made of a naturally magnetic material, while a magnetizer/demagnetizer uses an electric current to create a magnetic field.

4. Can a magnetizer/demagnetizer be used on any type of magnet?

Yes, a magnetizer/demagnetizer can be used on most types of magnets, including permanent magnets and electromagnets. However, the strength and effectiveness of the magnetic field may vary depending on the material and shape of the magnet.

5. How do you use a magnetizer/demagnetizer on an object?

To magnetize an object, you would place it in the magnetic field created by the magnetizer/demagnetizer, ensuring that the current is flowing in the correct direction. To demagnetize an object, you would slowly move it in and out of the magnetic field while decreasing the strength of the current. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using a magnetizer/demagnetizer.