How does the magnetic component of an EM wave affect surroundings?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Boltzman Oscillation
Messages
233
Reaction score
26
TL;DR
Would the magnetic wave of an EM wave create a force on objects near the shone light?
Hi all, as we all know EM waves are made up of magnetic and electric waves in a plane perpendicular to the direction of propagation. Given this, why don't I see conductors being affected when I shine light at them? Woulnt the magnetism cause a force? Is is that the force is too small? What am i not understanding.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Boltzmann Oscillation said:
Given this, why don't I see conductors being affected when I shine light at them?
What happens if you shine radio or micro waves at a conductor? What's the difference between radio and light waves?
 
Boltzmann Oscillation said:
Hi all, as we all know EM waves are made up of magnetic and electric waves ##~\dots##
Please count me out. What I think I know is that EM waves are made up of magnetic and electric fields. :oldsmile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and vanhees71
Ibix said:
What happens if you shine radio or micro waves at a conductor? What's the difference between radio and light waves?
Err when you asked me this I thought about the fact (i forgot the name) that if you shine light to a conductor then some of the electrons of the material will be sent flying out of the material. Oh, the photoelectric effect. Difference between radio and micro waves are many: energy, frequency, wavelength.
 
Why do you say that conductors are not affected when you shine light at them? If light is affected by a conductor then the conductor must be affected by light. Have you wondered why a sheet of paper transmits light but not a sheet of aluminum foil?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd and vanhees71
kuruman said:
Why do you say that conductors are not affected when you shine light at them? If light is affected by a conductor then the conductor must be affected by light. Have you wondered why a sheet of paper transmits light but not a sheet of aluminum foil?
Now that I was reminded of the photoelectric effect then I know conductors are affected by light. Thank you for the thought producing questions, they helped me remember things and make new neurological connections!
 
Boltzmann Oscillation said:
Err when you asked me this I thought about the fact (i forgot the name) that if you shine light to a conductor then some of the electrons of the material will be sent flying out of the material. Oh, the photoelectric effect. Difference between radio and micro waves are many: energy, frequency, wavelength.
I was actually thinking of a radio antenna, where an EM wave clearly makes electrons oscillate. Higher frequency EM does that too, but the effects aren't the same because the wave is higher frequency - see, for example, kuruman's post.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
Boltzmann Oscillation said:
Summary:: Would the magnetic wave of an EM wave create a force on objects near the shone light?

Is is that the force is too small?
Probably. Light has momentum which can be measured.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichols_radiometer
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and hutchphd