How does a rigid block on its edge move?

• Thread starter tmiddlet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Edge
In summary, the problem that the student is having is trying to find a way to track how the center of mass and the bottom angles are changing. He is also interested in understanding how this type of motion works in general.
tmiddlet
I am self studying physics, and a problem that I have not been able to figure out has been bothering me.
Look at the image (also attached): http://imgur.com/xHP2S"

Let's say that the side length is 1 m. and the mass is 10kg. The object has no initial velocity and assume there is infinite friction with the ground and that the only other force is gravity (9.8 m/s/s)

I've been trying to see how to predict its motion, but I can't see a good way to keep track of how the center of mass and the bottom angles are changing.

I'm not necessarily looking for the answer to this problem, but I want to know how this kind of thing works in general.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 359
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi tmiddlet! welcome to pf! :smile:
tmiddlet said:
… I can't see a good way to keep track of how the center of mass and the bottom angles are changing.

by "infinite friction", do you mean that the bottom point is stationary?

if so, i don't see the difficulty :confused:

the slope of the line from the bottom to the centre of mass is 45° more than the slope of one side

Maybe I haven't reached the appropriate topic yet, but what I want to see is how the object rotates about the stationary point due to gravity. By infinite friction I mean the bottom point is stationary, does not slide.

tmiddlet said:
Maybe I haven't reached the appropriate topic yet …

if you haven't done moment of inertia you won't be able to do this

if you have, then just use conservation of energy :smile:

I calculated the moment of inertia to be 5, but I'm not sure how to use conservation of energy because I don't know how to calculate gravitational potential energy on this object.

hi tmiddlet! :smile:

gravitational potential energy of any body is just mgh where m is the total mass and h is the height of the centre of mass :wink:

1. How does a rigid block move on its edge?

A rigid block on its edge moves by rotating around its point of contact with the surface. As the block rotates, its center of mass follows a circular path, causing the block to move in a circular motion.

2. What causes a rigid block to move on its edge?

A rigid block on its edge moves due to the force of gravity acting on its center of mass. As the block rotates, its center of mass experiences a downward force, causing it to move in a circular motion.

3. Can a rigid block on its edge move in a straight line?

No, a rigid block on its edge can only move in a circular motion. This is because the force of gravity acting on its center of mass always pulls it towards the center of the circle, causing it to rotate.

4. How does the surface affect the movement of a rigid block on its edge?

The surface can affect the movement of a rigid block on its edge by providing a frictional force. This frictional force can either help or hinder the rotational motion, depending on the roughness of the surface and the shape of the block.

5. What factors determine the speed of a rigid block on its edge?

The speed of a rigid block on its edge is determined by its rotational speed and the radius of the circular path it follows. The greater the rotational speed and the smaller the radius, the faster the block will move.