How Does a Star's Mass Affect its Properties and Position on the HR Diagram?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MartenAndre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Astrophysics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
MartenAndre
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. A star in the main series. Explain how the radiated power, surface temperature, lifetime and location in the HR diagram depends on the star's mass.
2.E = 1/4Pi*r^2 (I think, need help with this)
3.I know that the lifetime of the star depends on its mass because of the fusion process, or how fast the atoms in the star fuses (which is connected to the stars temperature). I know that radiation power is L which is how much energi per time it releases. This is found by using
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Under 2, I don't see a temperature, radiated power (or is that E? If so, mention it!) lifetime, etc.
 
BvU said:
Under 2, I don't see a temperature, radiated power (or is that E? If so, mention it!) lifetime, etc.

What do you mean? An equation for the temperature, or radiated power?
 
Explain how the radiated power, surface temperature, lifetime and location in the HR diagram depends on the star's mass.
So the exercise is asking for a bunch of stuff, right? My naive idea would be that you need expressions for these things. If you want to do only one, fine with me!
Right now I see an expression for something called E with the dimension of m-2. What is it ?