Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does algae form in my pool?

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    Just wondering how does algae get into my pool? Is it transported through insects from other bodies of water or something else??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many species of algae are really just single cells. These cells can survive out of water for long periods of time, often as a resting phase, like a spore. The spores are literally everywhere in the atmosphere of earth. They are kind of like pollen in that regard.

If you sterilized your pool completely and then left it open to air, new spores will blow in and start growing.

More complex species or tender species of algae are tranported between separate bodies of water by animals like aquatic birds - ducks, herons, etc. These guys probably do not frequent your pool.
  4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    There are some catalysts in the growth of algae as well. For instance, light and heat increase the rate of growth tremendously.
  5. Jul 1, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

light and heat are not catalysts.
  6. Jul 10, 2008 #5
    Algae utilizes the process of photosynthesis to manufacture its own food.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?