How does my cellphone detect moisture in its USB port?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
berkeman
Mentor
I had a shift outdoors yesterday where it was raining off and on. I was mostly under EZ-Up tents, but was out in the rain a little and there was plenty of moisture blowing in the air from the foggy conditions.

Part-way through the day, after the rain had let up for a few minutes, I happened to see a notice on my Google Pixel 6 cellphone similar to this one:

1698081064518.png

https://candid.technology/liquid-or-debris-in-usb-port-pixel/

I'd never seen something like that before (and was happy that it was reporting that all was okay), but it got me wondering how the phone can detect when some moisture gets into the type-C USB port. Does it look at leakage current between the 5V and Ground pins, or some other characteristic between the other lines in the type-C connector? I've worked mostly with circuitry for type-A and micro-USB connectors, and not so much with type-C, so maybe this is a feature of type-C only?

1698081313064.png

https://medium.com/@leung.benson/usb-type-c-s-configuration-channel-31e08047677d

Thanks for any insights. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think there's a moisture sensor in the port. Per Samsung:

Devices with a waterproof rating of IP68 and above (most of the Galaxy series) are equipped with a moisture detection sensor to prevent water damage to the device.

I assume the same is true for other brands.

• Informative
Likes davenn and berkeman
Oh, that's an easy one.
Your phone is powered by the magic of electricity! It's a little known fact that water conducts electricity!

Follow me for more pro-tips.[EDIT: OK, Drakkith's answer may be more useful.]

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur
LOL goofball Dave. :smile:

Likes Delta Prime
Drakkith said:
I think there's a moisture sensor in the port. Per Samsung:

Devices with a waterproof rating of IP68 and above (most of the Galaxy series) are equipped with a moisture detection sensor to prevent water damage to the device.

I assume the same is true for other brands.
Thanks Drak. Link?

Drakkith said:
Fantastic! Thanks Drak. So it's not a feature that is built-in with generic USB-C ports, but an additional detection device in the USB-C port of these devices. Cool stuff. :smile:

That is my understanding, yes.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
It must be an impedance measurement between the pins, since it recovers quickly. Other sensors (magnetoresistive, etc.) take longer to recover. They are also an extra part to add into a tight space. An integrated microcontroller could do the impedance measurement.

Phones also have permanent sensors for warranty purposes, both visual and electronic.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ove_water_sensors_for_detecting_iphone_damage

berkeman said:
That patent seems more to be for water intrusion into the interior, rather than moisture entry into the USB connector, no?
yes, exactly. A one time thing.
You won't find anything from Apple about impedance measurement, it's as old as vacuum tubes.

Which reminds me of a marketing guy that wanted me to patent a different, but similar, thing for lasers. I laughed and told him I stole it from a guy, who stole it from another guy, who copied it from a book, etc...

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Fantastic! Thanks Drak. So it's not a feature that is built-in with generic USB-C ports, but an additional detection device in the USB-C port of these devices. Cool stuff. :smile:
It shows what they can do when they want to. BUTTTTTT how come they don't slow down the processor when my iPhone gets nearly hot enough to burn my leg?

sophiecentaur said:
BUTTTTTT how come they don't slow down the processor when my iPhone gets nearly hot enough to burn my leg?
It's doing updates or something. There was a piece in the news in the last week or two...

• Skeptical
Likes sophiecentaur
Hmm. If I’m clever enough to take all the measures they describe then so is my iPhone. Power dissipation is as much related to clock speed as anything and the stupid machine could warn me about heavy use.
The annoying thing is that it feels like thermal runaway. No excuse imo.

Especially if you keep it in your front pocket... Yeowie!

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur

1. How does my cellphone detect moisture in its USB port?

Most modern cellphones use moisture detection sensors integrated into their USB ports. These sensors monitor the electrical conductivity across the port's contacts. Since water conducts electricity, the presence of moisture completes a circuit that triggers the sensor, alerting the system to potential water damage.

2. What happens when moisture is detected in the USB port?

When moisture is detected, the phone typically displays a warning message on the screen and may disable charging and data transfer capabilities to prevent damage to both the phone and the connected devices or chargers. The phone will usually advise you to disconnect any cables and allow the port to dry completely.

3. Can I still charge my phone if the moisture detection warning is active?

It is not recommended to charge your phone while the moisture detection warning is active as it can lead to short circuits and permanent damage to the phone's charging system. It's best to wait until the port is completely dry. Some phones may completely disable charging until the sensor no longer detects moisture.

4. How can I dry out my phone's USB port if moisture is detected?

To dry your phone's USB port, you should first power off the device if possible. Avoid using external heat sources like hair dryers as they can cause additional damage. Instead, leave the port exposed to open air and if possible, place it in a dry, warm environment. Silica gel packets can also help absorb moisture. It’s important to be patient and allow ample time for the port to dry completely.

5. Is the moisture detection feature available on all smartphones?

No, not all smartphones have a built-in moisture detection feature. This feature is more commonly found in newer and more advanced models, especially those that are designed to be water-resistant or waterproof. Always check the specifications of your device or consult with the manufacturer to determine if this feature is supported on your model.

Back