Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does blood turn into solid?

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    Hello guys,

I checked coagulation but I can't find the explanation of how blood (serum) suddenly turn into solid? How does this occur? Thank you!! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2
    I'm just wondering, do you try looking up any of this stuff on your own before asking questions?

Anyway coagulation begins by platelets binding to collage to begine activation of platelets n and forming a clot and at the same time coagulation proteins are reinforcing the platelets with fibrin 'coating'

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    YEAH! As one who takes rat poison to prevent arbitrary clotting of my blood ..... what he said, goes!

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to add to this for completeness, serum does NOT become solid. Serum is the component of blood that remains liquid after everything else has coagulated into a clot.

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5
    Yes I asked the question to get rid of that misunderstanding :smile: Hey Moonbear nice to see you back anyway. :smile:

7. Apr 7, 2010 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should be around a little more often again...at least for a little while. My med students had their last gross anatomy exam today (the board subject exam, which is a standardized exam given across the country) and are off enjoying spring break now. I think they must have done well, because several came up to me after the exam to tell me they were happy and that my lectures covered exactly what was on the exam, which is good news to me too! (This was the first year I gave some of those lectures, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that I emphasized the right content since I didn't have enough time to go over everything.)

Now I get a week and a half off from teaching, then I volunteer for two weeks in their neuro course. I'm not assigned to teach it, but I love the subject and still can't figure out why I get assigned to teach things that are as remote from my actual research interests as possible and not assigned to teach the things I know best. :rolleyes:

8. Apr 7, 2010 #7
    WOW :smile: I'm glad to hear about your success. Keep it up :smile: . Have to make the most of the time you are here. May be you can help me with this neurotransmitter question
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393190

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook