How does blood turn into solid?

In summary, Moonbear thinks that the success of the students is good news because it means that the lectures covered the material on the exam. He is not assigned to teach the neuro course, but is happy to do so because he loves the subject. He has to make the most of the time he is here.
sameeralord
Hello guys,

I checked coagulation but I can't find the explanation of how blood (serum) suddenly turn into solid? How does this occur? Thank you! :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm just wondering, do you try looking up any of this stuff on your own before asking questions?

Anyway coagulation begins by platelets binding to collage to begine activation of platelets n and forming a clot and at the same time coagulation proteins are reinforcing the platelets with fibrin 'coating'

zomgwtf said:
I'm just wondering, do you try looking up any of this stuff on your own before asking questions?

Anyway coagulation begins by platelets binding to collage to begine activation of platelets n and forming a clot and at the same time coagulation proteins are reinforcing the platelets with fibrin 'coating'

YEAH! As one who takes rat poison to prevent arbitrary clotting of my blood ... what he said, goes!

Just to add to this for completeness, serum does NOT become solid. Serum is the component of blood that remains liquid after everything else has coagulated into a clot.

Moonbear said:
Just to add to this for completeness, serum does NOT become solid. Serum is the component of blood that remains liquid after everything else has coagulated into a clot.

Yes I asked the question to get rid of that misunderstanding :smile: Hey Moonbear nice to see you back anyway. :smile:

sameeralord said:
Yes I asked the question to get rid of that misunderstanding :smile: Hey Moonbear nice to see you back anyway. :smile:

I should be around a little more often again...at least for a little while. My med students had their last gross anatomy exam today (the board subject exam, which is a standardized exam given across the country) and are off enjoying spring break now. I think they must have done well, because several came up to me after the exam to tell me they were happy and that my lectures covered exactly what was on the exam, which is good news to me too! (This was the first year I gave some of those lectures, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that I emphasized the right content since I didn't have enough time to go over everything.)

Now I get a week and a half off from teaching, then I volunteer for two weeks in their neuro course. I'm not assigned to teach it, but I love the subject and still can't figure out why I get assigned to teach things that are as remote from my actual research interests as possible and not assigned to teach the things I know best. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I should be around a little more often again...at least for a little while. My med students had their last gross anatomy exam today (the board subject exam, which is a standardized exam given across the country) and are off enjoying spring break now. I think they must have done well, because several came up to me after the exam to tell me they were happy and that my lectures covered exactly what was on the exam, which is good news to me too! (This was the first year I gave some of those lectures, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that I emphasized the right content since I didn't have enough time to go over everything.)

Now I get a week and a half off from teaching, then I volunteer for two weeks in their neuro course. I'm not assigned to teach it, but I love the subject and still can't figure out why I get assigned to teach things that are as remote from my actual research interests as possible and not assigned to teach the things I know best. :rolleyes:

WOW :smile: I'm glad to hear about your success. Keep it up :smile: . Have to make the most of the time you are here. May be you can help me with this neurotransmitter question
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393190

1. How does blood turn into solid?

When blood is exposed to air or a damaged blood vessel, a series of chemical reactions occur to form a clot, which is the solid form of blood.

2. What is the role of platelets in the process of blood turning into solid?

Platelets are small cell fragments in the blood that play a crucial role in the formation of blood clots. When a blood vessel is damaged, platelets rush to the site and release chemicals that help activate other clotting factors.

3. What is the purpose of fibrin in the process of blood turning into solid?

Fibrin is a thread-like protein that forms a mesh network around platelets to create a stable blood clot. This mesh helps to trap more platelets and blood cells, making the clot stronger.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the process of blood turning into solid?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the process of blood clotting, such as certain medications, deficiencies in clotting factors, and genetic disorders. Additionally, excessive blood loss or certain diseases can also impact the clotting process.

5. What happens to the solid blood clot after it has served its purpose?

Once the damaged blood vessel has healed and the clot is no longer needed, the body will break down the clot through a process called fibrinolysis. This allows the blood to flow freely again and helps prevent the formation of unnecessary clots.