How does force change in Coulomb's law when charges or distance change?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
questions relate to coulomb's law.

What will happen the to force if:

one of the charge was doubled. (ex.q1 was doubled)
I think that the force would double as well right?

What if q1 and q2 were cut in half?

the distance is tripled?

the distance is cut in half? How do I figure this out?

What if q1 was tripped and the distance doubled?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TO do this you need to look at the form of coulombs law. It is given by:
[itex] F_c=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}[/itex]
where r is the separation distance btw the paticles and q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles in question. By looking aT what should happen to F when you say double q1 you should be able to figure it all out
 
If a question asked to find how many excess electrons are on a particle charged -4.0E-17C, what should I do? I know that the charge of a electron is -1.602E-19C but how do I know how many excess electrons there are?
 
If a question asked you how many tomatoes were in a sack containing 1 kg of tomatoes if each tomato is 200 g, how would you solve that?