How Does Friction Affect the Movement of a Thrown Turkey?

  • Thread starter Thread starter austin1250
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
austin1250
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Alright well the problem is that 10 kg frozen turkey is thrown and goes horizontally on a surface with a 0.10 coefficient of kinetic friction. It travels for 10 meters. What is the work the friction does to stop the object. And what is the speed the frozen turkey is thrown at?

Homework Equations



eq.

W=f * d



The Attempt at a Solution



I did the problem I don't know if it is right, I am hoping you guys will tell me if I did.

First I got the weight of the turkey.
10 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 = 98.1 N downward

Then 98.1N * Coefficient of .10 = 9.81 N kinetic friction.

Then plugged that into the work equation W=9.81 * 10 meters = so I got the work
of friction to be 98.1 Joules.

Then to find the speed I did

98.1 joules = 10*v^2/2 then got it to equal 4.43 m/s. did I do these steps right? If not can somebody help me? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Looks good to me.

Really? Nice. If so thank you. If anyone finds an error please let me know. thank you :)