How does glue reinforce two sheets of paper joined together?

In summary: For dynamic loads, a more sophisticate solution must be used, which is a three dimensional analysis. In this case, you must model the deformation of each sheet as a member of an elastic continuum. This is done by solving a partial differential equation for each sheet. Vibrations and torsion are then calculated by solving these equations.For static loads, simplest way may be to us moment-area method. You just treat each rectangular piece of paper part as beam. This method does not allow calculation of torsion modes of sheet or vibrations, but is sufficient for flexural loads response calculation. Shapes are typically hyperbolic functions after you integrate deflection along the sheet.For dynamic loads, a more sophistic
Phylosopher
TL;DR Summary
Take two sheets of paper, glue them together. How hard is it to bend the papers?
I am no engineer, just a physicist. I usually do not work with such problems, so I basically do not know what to look for to begin with.

My question/questions goes like this, take the following situation:

Fetch a paper, such single paper is easy to bend. If one takes glue, and glue this previous paper with another one. Obviously, the two papers are harder to bend.

• How to model the "resistance" to bend of a simple two dimensional object? (Formulas, methods, coefficients etc...)
  • How does glue enforces the two sheets, and how to model its effect? (I am seeking empirical as well as theoretical formulas)

I am clueless on this subject and I do not really know where to look at! I surfed throw the following on wiki: Bending, Bending Moment.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If glue is non-penetrating, and glue layer is thin, rigidity is simply proportional to the square of number of sheets bonded.
In case of penetrating glue, additional rigidity multiplier up to x3 may be applicable, depending on the sort of glue. Phenolic thermo-reactive adhesives are in particular formulated for high rigidity of bonded paper products (phenolic paper).

Likes Phylosopher
trurle said:
If glue is non-penetrating, and glue layer is thin, rigidity is simply proportional to the square of number of sheets bonded.
In case of penetrating glue, additional rigidity multiplier up to x3 may be applicable, depending on the sort of glue. Phenolic thermo-reactive adhesives are in particular formulated for high rigidity of bonded paper products (phenolic paper).

Thanks.

Maybe I wrote my questions in a the wrong way! I am interested in simulating the behavior of the sheets after applying the glue. Just knowing the rigidity won't do it for me I guess!

Take this for example. Instead of a Beam, its a paper. What do I need to know to make such simulation? Rigidity and stiffness is one thing to look for, but what else?

The problem that I have is not that I don't have the knowledge of physics or programming etc... I just don't know what physics/engineering I need to start the simulation ^^"

Phylosopher said:
Take this for example. Instead of a Beam, its a paper. What do I need to know to make such simulation? Rigidity and stiffness is one thing to look for, but what else?
You should also set boundary conditions. Fixed point, sliding point or free point.
Regarding methodology, for static loads, simplest way may be to us moment-area method. You just treat each rectangular piece of paper part as beam. This method does not allow calculation of torsion modes of sheet or vibrations, but is sufficient for flexural loads response calculation. Shapes are typically hyperbolic functions after you integrate deflection along the sheet.
http://www.learnaboutstructures.com/Moment-Area-Theorems

• Informative
Likes Phylosopher

1. How does glue work to hold two sheets of paper together?

Glue works by creating a bond between the molecules of the paper and the molecules of the glue. When the glue is applied to the paper, it seeps into the tiny pores and fibers of the paper, creating a strong connection between the two sheets.

2. What type of glue is best for reinforcing paper?

The best type of glue for reinforcing paper is a strong, liquid adhesive such as white glue or PVA glue. These types of glue have a good balance of strength and flexibility, making them ideal for paper projects.

3. Can I use any type of glue to reinforce paper?

No, not all types of glue are suitable for reinforcing paper. Some glues, such as super glue or hot glue, are too strong and can cause the paper to tear or become brittle. It's important to choose a glue specifically designed for paper projects.

4. How long does it take for the glue to dry and reinforce the paper?

The drying time for glue can vary depending on the type and brand of glue used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the glue to fully dry and create a strong bond between the two sheets of paper.

5. Can I reinforce paper with just one layer of glue?

In most cases, one layer of glue is not enough to create a strong reinforcement for paper. It's best to apply multiple layers of glue, allowing each layer to dry completely before adding the next one. This will create a stronger bond and make the paper more durable.