Fundamental frequency of organ pipe filled with helium

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenMind
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Helium Pipe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
GreenMind
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 275 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency f will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.


Homework Equations



below

The Attempt at a Solution


v(he)=999 m/s
v(O)=344 m/s
I solved with [tex]fn = n v / 2 L[/tex] but I am not getting as accurately of an answer as id like. How can I incorporate the molar mass into these equations?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to find the relationship between the speed of sound in an ideal gas to the density of the gas. The density is proportional to the molar mass.